Trying a Discus Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parrottbay

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an 72 Bow Front with 48" Current Nova Extreme T5 X4
Work in progress; trying to make a planted discus tank. To much light for discus even with thick plants? I am living in NC where the local ph is higher around 7-8. The person I am in trying to buy them from say they have always been givin the local tap water and does not add any chemicals bc they would cause a spike in ph etc. The tank is currently cycling. Usually here every one recommends African cichlids bc of the ph and etc but every one here has them and its been in my head like most other that discus are AWESOME lol! She is wanting to sale 7 to me for 150. 2 altum Flora, one blue angel, one cobalt, two blue turquoise, one red dragon, and one scarlet. Good deal or bad? What kind of plant to get and what to stay away from with them along with fish. Her tank she has them with a bushy nose pleco, tetras, and kooli loaches. Just basically trying to get some expert/ outside advice from better people since every one here says the above and never had them while I read on forms the high ph is fine unless trying to breed...Thanks for your time reading!!!

BTW I know the count adds to eight but I forgot that one recently died that was the runt bc it was picked on and she removed it but it was too late... not sure which one it is but I am assuming its one of the doubles...

Even though I have always liked discuss I have never had any because my water is pretty hard and my pH is about 7.5 and also because they are kind of expensive. So as you can see I don't know much about discuss however I do know that they require excellent water parameters and are very delicate. If I have learnt something in this forum is that sometimes is most important to keep a constant pH rather than the right pH (example is better to have a constant 7.0 than a fluctuating 6.5).
I would say that if she has really kept those fish at the same pH you will be keeping them you should go for them but only after your tank is fully cycled and you have done some research about them.

If I were you I would be asking your friend all of these questions; after all, if she has successfully kept discus she would be able to give you some pointers.

Good luck! and make sure to post pictures if you decide to get them.

I will, I am planning on getting them and thanks for answering me! I just didnt want to get lied to and get screwed over being new to discus... she is being helpful and answering everything I ask, just wanted the reassurance lol

If you get them ask her to feed them when you are there, and ask her to test the pH. I have a friend who has discuss and even though our water comes from the same source his pH is lower because he uses an RO system and peat moss . I know how you feel a couple of months ago when I got my pair of rams I was the same way but after reading some posts about people keeping those fish under similar conditions I decided to get them.
BTW: According to what I've read and been told a weekly 50% pWC is a must with discuss.

Back
Top Bottom