Trying to Save this FISH!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuwhada

Aquarium Advice Activist
So you can read my first post about this fish here http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=32565&highlight= about a sick Vlamingi tang. I have taken over the care of this fish.
I did a nice water change for him, and is parameters in the tank are good. I test it regularly now. I am also keeping a log on this fish like it should have been done from day one.
The fish is eating... he eats very well. I soak his food in vitachem and or garlic. I also dose the tank with maracyn II and vitamin C.
He still has the "injury" or parasites to his eye. Still not sure which it is. I do have 2 cleaner shrimp in with him and they just go to town, we are special orderign a cleaner wrasse for him. I know they don't survive but maybe for a little while it will help.
It looks like he is devloping I think Hole in the head? Is that what it is called. One of my coworkers said that we can treat that last with wound control. Does that sound good.
HIs color has improved but the eye only imporved a little. THe instructions for the maracyn II says to do this for 5 days which I will. I don't work tomorrow which is his last dose but I made arrangements for someone else to medicate him and I am in on Thursday.
He does have white spots so some sort of parasite and the eye problem. He does seem to have some sort of hemorraging in certain areas of his skin. But I am hoping the maracyn will help that
Does anyone have any other advice on the situation. I have developed quite a bond to this fish and I am going to try my hardest to save him even though nobody else in teh store is. Well they care but nobody is doing anything about it.

Thanks
Christina

Well first if he has a parasite, that needs to be addressed first. The eye problem is most likely secondary to that. Is he in qt? Cupramine or hypo would be indicated depending on the parasite and only in qt can these treatments be used, it would kill the cleaner shrimp.
Lateral line can be addressed after the more pressing problem of the parasite. Vitamin soaked foods, pristine water quality will help.

tuwhada said:
THe instructions for the maracyn II says to do this for 5 days which I will.
Do not follow the instructions on the box. In order for it to be an effective treatment, you must dose double the recommended amount for a total of 7 days. If you only dose the reg amount for 5 days there will be little if any improvement. Be sure you medicate any water for water changes before adding to the tank.

He does have white spots so some sort of parasite and the eye problem.
Definatley follow Quarry's advice if you are sure the problem is parasitic but only use hyposalinity if your sure it's C. irritans.

He does seem to have some sort of hemorraging in certain areas of his skin. But I am hoping the maracyn will help that
Keep an eye on this for sure. If the Maracyn does not help it could easily be from the pH of the water. Be sure you check the pH and alkalinity of the water regularaly. If low, buffer the water to bring it back up unless it's the normal water change time.

Do not follow the instructions on the box. In order for it to be an effective treatment, you must dose double the recommended amount for a total of 7 days. If you only dose the reg amount for 5 days there will be little if any improvement. Be sure you medicate any water for water changes before adding to the tank.

Well I am already into the 4th day of dosing so what do I do now.

As for the parasites they treated the tank this morning when I was not their (which kind of upset me) with copper safe.

Yes it is a quarantine tank.

Any other suggestions... oh the pH is fine it is actually running a TAD high. But not terribly. I test the water like every other day b/c I am also using hte vitamins which can affect the water.

Thanks
Christina

Increase the dosage for the tank volume to double and continue the treatment for another 5-7 days. The extended time will not hurt the fish, just the wallet. You can also aid the process by soaking the food in the antibiotic after they are dissolved in some tank water. Simpley take a few teaspoons of the dissolved med and add it to the foods being prepared. Be sure to keep strict tabs on the water quality and the overall activity/health of the fish with the Copper Safe added. With tangs, it's not always a very good choice and can supress the fish's appetite and cause further stress. Cupramine would have been a better choice.

Cheers
Steve

I didn't have a choice on the copper they did it before I got there. And they use coppersafe for all the tanks int he store. I asked my boss to get a uv sterilizer b/c these fish come in looking good and then develop ich so obviously it is in the system if they have a sterilizer it would kill the floaters. He said that they are getting it b/c of the different temps when shipping and that it is NOT in our system. Whatever... he is just cheap and does not want to use hte sterilizer.
I will double the dose today... I don't work but I have to go in and I will do this antibiotics for ANOTHER week.
So far he is eating very well. And I soak is food in his own tank water which means it should have the antibiotic in it plus some vitamins.

Thank you so much for your help I will keep you posted.

Christina

tuwhada said:
He said that they are getting it b/c of the different temps when shipping and that it is NOT in our system.
Actually they could easily be from his system. If the copper concentrations are not kept at the proper level, all it will do is slow down the rate of infestation and will not erradicate the parasite. Coppersafe if I'm not mistaken must be maintained at just shy of 2.0 ppm to be an effective treatment. Anything less than 1.5 ppm would be ineffective, especially if there is any CaCO3 substances in the tank that will easily affect the levels such as rock or substrate.

So far he is eating very well. And I soak is food in his own tank water which means it should have the antibiotic in it plus some vitamins.
That will kinda help a little but soaking the foods in the freshly prepared med would be much more effective and not nearly as diluted.

Cheers
Steve

well the meds just get dropped into the tank like the tank says. So I then use the tank water to soak the food.

Thanks again
Christina

Back
Top Bottom