Turning a FW tank into brackish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moncrief2315

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. I have 50 gallon Fw that I need to turn into brackish for my wife’s puffer fish. Any advice or steps I have to take to do this would greatly be appreciated. I have Fw all my life. But this is going to be my first brackish. The tank is currently cycled and stocked with cichlids but they will be moving to a 120. Thanks. IMG_0088.jpg

Brackish Water Tanks

Hi. I have 50 gallon Fw that I need to turn into brackish for my wife’s puffer fish. Any advice or steps I have to take to do this would greatly be appreciated. I have Fw all my life. But this is going to be my first brackish. The tank is currently cycled and stocked with cichlids but they will be moving to a 120. Thanks. View attachment 312475

Hello Mon...

Brackish water has roughly a tablespoon of salt for every five gallons of tank volume. As long as the tank has been properly established and you add the right amount of salt to the water, your fish should be fine. Fish will be at their healthiest if you remove and replace most of the water weekly. Remember, you're only adding salt to the replacement water. The water that remains in the tank after the water change, already has salt in it.

B

Hello Mon...

Brackish water has roughly a tablespoon of salt for every five gallons of tank volume. As long as the tank has been properly established and you add the right amount of salt to the water, your fish should be fine. Fish will be at their healthiest if you remove and replace most of the water weekly. Remember, you're only adding salt to the replacement water. The water that remains in the tank after the water change, already has salt in it.

B

Thanks b. This helps a lot. I use marine salt right not aquarium salt?

Hello Mon...

B
No. Brackish water is not the same as aquarium salt in fw. A brackish system uses marine salt and therefor demands a different class of bacteria for the cycle. You just nuked a tank.. good job!

Hi. I have 50 gallon Fw that I need to turn into brackish for my wife’s puffer fish. Any advice or steps I have to take to do this would greatly be appreciated. I have Fw all my life. But this is going to be my first brackish. The tank is currently cycled and stocked with cichlids but they will be moving to a 120. Thanks. View attachment 312475
What type puffer?

Green spotted puffers
Cool, I love mine. Fun little fish. I feed them frozen blood worms and brine shrimp, more importantly freeze dried krill to keep up with the growing teeth. Pretty easy to care for otherwise. I answered another thread of yours pertaining to water parameters.

Cool, I love mine. Fun little fish. I feed them frozen blood worms and brine shrimp, more importantly freeze dried krill to keep up with the growing teeth. Pretty easy to care for otherwise. I answered another thread of yours pertaining to water parameters.

Awesome thanks. Yea my wife brought them home without me knowing and said look what I got. So I kinda got thrown into them. Don’t know much about them. I feed them frozen blood worms right now. I am going to see if my lfs has freeze dried krill. So you know if I have to acclimate them to brackish or can I just put them in and when I should start. There in Fw right now. Only about 2 inches and under Thanks for you help.

Back
Top Bottom