Turtle advise ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then maybe with those specific turtles you can't have fish- a. What kind of a turtles and b. What kind of fish?
Right now I have 5 Cory's ; 5 Khuli loaches and 1 albino bristle nose Pleco- with three baby turtles a western painted, a yellow belly slider and a peninsula cooter- in the last 3 months they have eaten 2 Cory's and 1 Pleco-

You need fast healthy fish a big tank and plenty of hiding places - I have an 80 gallon - but it's wide- 36 x 30 -

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

By the way the cooter is a total herbivore - and could care less about the fish

My tank is much smaller than 80 gallons! I'm sure that helps I wish I could afford it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Iv changed my mind now , im saving up for a tank just for turtles , what would be the minimum tank size for 2 yellow bellied turtles? And what type of filter would i need? Iv heard they waste a lot

By the way the cooter is a total herbivore - and could care less about the fish

Cooters are carnivorous when young and take more vegetable matter as they grow, but they are not a total vegetarian. I kept mine with a convict pair and he would eat the fry they produced along with his veggies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have an adult female cooter in my pond and she doesn't eat any of the fish, there's even a successful goldfish spawn in there that has been growing out all winter. That said, she could just be lazy, I've had other turtles that would go after any fish in their vicinity.

I have an adult female cooter in my pond and she doesn't eat any of the fish, there's even a successful goldfish spawn in there that has been growing out all winter. That said, she could just be lazy, I've had other turtles that would go after any fish in their vicinity.

There could be a difference then, mine is a male.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Get musk turtles. I have a lot of fish and 5 musk turtles. They all became friends

If you get a red ear turtle For sure all your fish are gone !

I have kept my RES with my mbunas for a long while now, and the only casualty I have had was he ate my pleco. He shows no real interest in fish. He will hang onto the side of his basking area with his back feet and such still in the water, and my yellow labs sort of "clean" him. He doesn't mind at all. Feeding time isn't an issue either, although many people recommend feeding turts in as separate tank, mine has learned that I feed the fish first, and he will go to the opposite side of the tank and wait for his. You'll need heavy filtration though. My tank is turned over around 13x per hour.

Sent from my QMV7A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I want to add some fish to my 60 gal RES tank

I have a 60 gallon tank it in not very tall but it is wide and long which I figured a turtle would prefer as opposed to a talk skinny tank. 1/3 is heavily planted on the left side and 1/3 of the right side is semi planted with a large coral (plastic) cave like decoration for fish to hide in and the center is open swimming area that I left for the turtle. Now the turtle, he is a very small (smaller than a 50 cent piece) red eared slider, I have (4) 2 inch bala Sharks, and (1) 1.5 inch bristlenose pleco to help with algae clean up. I want to add a few more fish just to add a little more life to the tank, and also wanted to add some sort of shrimp/crab/fish to help eat the waste from the turtle or other fish but I also don't want to overstock the tank because I know that can cause big health problems with the fish. If you have any suggestions for tank mates for my little turtle they would be greatly appreciated. Also I have my eye on a 200 gallon tank that I plan on making into a paladarium but that's going to cost a pretty penny, we will just have to wait and see ?

Back
Top Bottom