Turtle questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm interested in a small turtle, I've done some research and have learned a lot. I hear stink pots are nice and small, but don't want something smelly inside the house. Was curious with the following:

1) what is a good small species?

2) what is the smallest tank I can get that would still be a good home for an adult turtle?

3) does a turtle require a fully cycled tank like a fish does? I own fish and know tons about them.

4) I hear that feeding them feeder goldfish is unadvisable, what other fish can I treat them with?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am getting a stinkpot. I did choose that one that was primarily aquatic, small size, most carnivorous to protect the plant, and an easy care turtle. Stinkpot fit those criteria.

Supposedly they do not stink when born in captivity, and only when very frightened such as with excessive handling. Check Austins Turtle for good info and care sheets.

They still need basking areas, heat and uvb lamps, and a variety of food.

Of course I can't speak from experience because I don't have one yet. But DO NOT buy from Turtleshack. They sent me a dead turtle and refused any refund or replacement unless I paid them more money (almost as much as i paid the first time), their guarantees are a joke.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like western painted turtles. A mature male grows to 6-8 inches. Females grow up to 10-12 inches. I bet a 50 gallon would work wonders for a mature male. They like red rosy minnows as their feeder fish.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

stinkpots dont necessarily smell all the time. They only release musk when they are startled.

I have a Mississippi Map Turtle (male) and he's still a baby right now (about 3") and he shouldn't grow more than 7-8" so as an adult I'm getting him a 55 long. I really love Mississippi Maps because of their awesome temperament, their unlikely ness to bite, and there sweet spiky Mohawk. That's just IMHO though

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had 3 res in an outdoor pond with big goldfish. they would not bother the fish, but if a mouse fell in they were like piranhas. Now i live next to the river and see res and snappers all the time. res are not native to PA but are here and surviving.

Ouachita map turtles are good small size turtle. Males stay smaller than the females. I got mine from turtlesource.com and have never had a bad experience with them. They are also interesting to look at. You could get away with a 40g Breeder for them but you will want a canister filter rated for 80 gallon tank to keep up with the waste. Aquatop or Sun Sun have cheap canister filters. Also don't forget the basking lamp and UVB lamp. They can go in water that isn't cycled just treat it. You'll want it to be cycled at some point but you can do turtle in cycle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Western painted are a great small turtle- don't need to cycle tank for turtle- do need dry basking area with heat - the rule is 1 gallon per inch- so when it's 1 inch a 10 gallon is good when it's 6 inches it's not- so think big - if you want turtles - however one western by itself would properly be fine in a 50 gallon- especially a male

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

As far as fish- u can't feed fish alone- too much protein- use turtle pellets- Mazuri the best but the other ones are fine- u can feed a fish every once in a while- but might not eat it anyway- depends on turtle- Rosie reds, etc -

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom