Turtle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dale97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would you be able to keep a red eared slider turtle in the same tank as tropical fish?

No. They'll eat them. Even if bigger than it's head. It will take chomps at it more than likely.

Personal experience. Tried putting some goldfish with my sister's turtle. Ended up being eaten, whether halved or whole. :/

It depends on the turtle and the fish. I have my adult slider with a variety of small to large fish- of they're fast, he doesn't even try. Of they're slow and fat- forget it!

Depends on how big the turtle is vs. how big fish is. My fish do ok in my turtle tank i have 2 southern painted 2inch and 1 mississppi map 3inch

They can only snack on fish they can catch haha or baby fish. This might be mean but i bought guppies ( go on sale at petsmart for a $1 every couple of months) to put in my tank because they breed like crazy as long as you have enough places for them to hide they sould be ok for a while.

But my Cichlid on the other hand is the one doing the attacking right now bc he is bigger.

As long as you know that at some point in time the fish might die you should be ok.

People have had success with African cichlids, but I'm not fan because the RES is American and well no mystery about the cichlids. Big aggressive SA cichlids can fend off an RES, as well as some sunfish. I'm actually getting sunfish for my tank, they are similar to cichlids and can get pretty aggressive so they will hold their own against a turtle. Btw comparing an RES to a painted or mud/musk isn't a good evaluation, sliders are much more aggressive hunters. This does slow down as they age but mine is 6 years old and will still chase a fish until she catches it

The main point in what I was saying is dont get expensive fish they will die if you have a bare tank. If you really want fish find something that reproduces quickly.

The main point in what I was saying is dont get expensive fish they will die if you have a bare tank. If you really want fish find something that reproduces quickly.

Ahh I see well that's true if your not going to scape it to accommodate fish then don't waste your time. Unless you get a fish of size or greater than the turtle it won't be long until its food. IMO, if your gonna keep fish, care for the turtle AND the fish. Feeders are one thing, but I don't think that was the OP's intention. Didn't try to undermine you Kay, sorry if you felt that way :/

Back
Top Bottom