Two part question: heaters and lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshsReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a couple questions, first my tank has been up for almost a year ( went by way 2 fast) and I have power compact lights and was wondering when should I replace the bulbs? According to a link on the doctors web page the bulbs are good from anywhere from 12-28 months. When will I know when they need changing, when they burn out?

Also as far as heaters, can anyone reccomend a good solid reliable heater for a 75 gallon tank. I have had bad luck with 2 stealth heaters, I cant seem to get a solid consistant temp with them and would really appreciate some reccomendations !

Thanks

From what I have been told and thru reading...CF bulbs should be replaced every 6 months (regardless if they still work or not). I use that schedule just to be on the safe side. Other may disagree.

As for heaters..the temp is going to fluctuate as the day goes on. Your lights will raise the temp, then after lights out the temp will drop to whatever your heaters are set at. Maybe you don't have enough watts per gallon of heating. My 100W stealth says up to 30 gallons. But I added another 50W just to be sure.

PC lamps should be replaced every 6 - 9 months. T5's have a 12-18 month life span.

I also think you should have two heaters. Don't go by the setting on the heater as they are very inaccurate. It can take a few days to get the heaters dialed in.

Oversize your heater slightly. Check out the heater guide to properly size your heater to the temp differential of the tank and room.

Agree that maybe the heater was a little underpowered. On my saltwater mix tank, I always seemed to have problems with consistent temps. I finally put a bigger heater in and it stabilized. Also agree that going with two heaters is a safer option.

I change out my PC tubes every 6 months, like clockwork. I'm always amazed at the difference it makes in the look of the tank when I put in new bulbs. You just don't realize how much they fade/color shift until you put new ones in. You don't just want to run them until they burn out. It's the shift in color spectrum and intensity that cause replacement.

I agree with the lighting.
I really like the finnex titanium heaters.

Back
Top Bottom