Two tanks are better than one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep in mind that she probably doesn't want you spending more time with the tanks and less with her. Time for at least a little housework or a homecooked meal?

my husband it always griping about the time or money i spend on my tank so when I want something new for it I start keeping a tab on how much he spends on stuff for him like Golf clubs and games and then present him the amount that he spends veruses how much I am spending.

my husband it always griping about the time or money i spend on my tank so when I want something new for it I start keeping a tab on how much he spends on stuff for him like Golf clubs and games and then present him the amount that he spends veruses how much I am spending.

From experience that doesn't usually work with women... Usually just makes them dig their heels in harder :)

Hang in there man!

One other thing that might work, I give my wife "jobs" having to do with the tank. That is how I got the 90 gallon. She does all the feeding, cleans the glass, and turns the lights on and off. She is involved with picking fish (well I tell her what I am buying next and why). Now I am working on a second big tank, we will see how that goes.

From a female perspective honestly I am more impressed if a guy takes time to understand my interests than giving me "chores" relating to his ;)

They aren't "chores", they are a way to have her involved, therfore she builds interest in the tank. May not work for every women, but it has worked with my wife.

If she only wants one tank.. get rid of the 29 and the 10 and upgrade to like a 55 or a 90 :D

I tried to get her involved, but she thinks fish are gross because "they live in their waste." She is really grossed out with aquariums, that's why she doesn't want the second one. I would like to get a 90 gallon but after what I spent on the 30 and the 10 I think she would be even more pissed. I think I have made an advancement with the health thing. I think she is coming around. Plus, I have been so attentive with my 30g tank and have kept it so clean, that she may be crumbling on her stand. I wil just have to work my charm a little more. Thanks for all the ideas.

I was thinking the same thing krap101. I was thinking more like a 120+. Also, you could consider a stand like I have. I have a 30g long on top and a 10g below it. That way you don't have tanks all over the house.

What is holding her up? The money? Space? Time?

criagslist is great to find cheap used tank. plus bigger tanks are less work really.... the time it takes to clean and wc 2 30 gallons you could be done with the 100-120....
that just knocked out money and time lol....

i know someone who has to buy his wife a new rock every time he gets a new tank but to be fair his last one was 600 gallons....

If the "dirty" thing is messing her up, then explain to her why it is necessary to have a planted tank :D along with a sump.

lol plants are a good idea lol how they had o2 into the air.... how you are fighting GW.... now who is writing my app to the gov for GW funds for all the work i do getting rid of that evil carbon......

I think it is HUGE that you know her main objection. She thinks they are unclean. You can work with that. Because fish don't have to live in their own waste. (Especially planted tanks as the plants actually use the waste)

So if you make sure you keep up on all the maintenance (weekly water changes would be helpful) and then maybe add some plants (low light root feeders like crypts and vals so you don't have to upgrade lights or anything) then over time she can start to see not only your health benefits but also see how natural and clean the aquarium can be.

I know when I want something like that I just have to show my husband my love for it by making the best of what I have and keep up my interest in it, take care of it, prove my love for it so to speak.....and then eventually he is supporting it because he sees how much life it brings into my personality and he really does love to see me happy.

There is also the whole "support me because you love me" thing because I support his motorcycle enthusiasm even though I don't care for it and it scares me.
And as a wife, I can tell you that helping her around the house can NEVER go wrong...I want to give my hubby whatever he wants when he cooks dinner....I even MAKE him go out and ride just so I don't feel guilty. :)

I will explain about the plants consuming the waste, but I don't know if that will help. She doesn't even like house plants. She thinks the dirt will bring bugs into the house. She is a little OCD about bugs and germs. We have a three year old that brings in far more dirt and bugs than any plant or fish tank ever would. I think I will mainly tell her that it is a relaxing hobby and I will promis her I will properly maintain them to hospital specs. Thanks to everyone for all the good advice. This is becoming more of a counseling group than a fish group.

I just have one but it is a 100 gal. tank and takes up a lg spot in my living room and I think your right this is a great counseling group.

haha aquarium anonymous lol! Yeah just work with her and give her time. Eventually she will come around. I have 4 fish tanks (55g, 20g, 10g, and 2g) and a 10 gallon terrarium. Im looking into getting another large one but i thnk if i did that I would tear down the 10 gallon. It would just be convienent since I have 3 filters and a heater laying around unused at the moment. About two weeks ago I came really close to coming home with another 55g

I've only been in this hobby for about 3 years and I got, well... three tanks. Two main tanks and QT I set up as needed. I have a 30g long and a 10g. They both sit on the same stand so they only take up as much space as a 30g long's footprint. I made the stand so I can eventually upgrade the 10g to a 30g tall... thinking ahead. :)

I have 3 (see sig) and I am working on building a big salt tank. Hoping to be in the 150+ gallon range.

Back
Top Bottom