two tetras fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

burts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have one red phantom tetra and one purple tetra glo fish that been in a quarantine 5 gallon bucket with a plant and filter since purchased. They are now being treated for ich with coppersafe at 30c.

When i watch these guys with my little flashlight they nip at each other relentlessly sometimes..I have the same fish in my main tank and they are peaceful...

My phantom tetra has beat up fins, from the ich or fighting i dont know.

Why are they fighting?

They are fighting because 1) they are schooling fish that need to be in big groups and 2) they are in a very small space together. Try covering up the bucket so they are in complete darkness during treatment. It will both lower their stress from being in an unfamiliar place, and stop their fighting. I even like to wrap blankets around the quarantine 5g buckets I use to keep light out and conserve heat.

Thank you for your response, I will cover the bucket...

It seems like all my new fish in quarantine have ich, my other 5 gallon glass quarantine has 5 neon tetras that developed ich after 2 weeks, 2 have already died..

:(

Back
Top Bottom