Types of wood for canopy's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefRaff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wanted some thoughts for the type of wood to use for my canopy. I know a bunch of manufactures use pine (seems boring) and some use oak (wich im told soaks moisture up like a sponge). I was thinking of using cypress or ceader (ideal in miost enviroments) any thoughts in this matter?

the tank size is 36X18 and I will be using 4 URI VHO bulbs run by a Icecap 660. other questions are, should I mount the lights to the lid or can I just install a lip on the inside of the sides to let them rest on? each bulb is 90 watts and on a 50 gallon thats 7.2 watts a gallon. reason i chose vho's is at 36" it makes one MH not enough and 2 too much.

any other thoughts please post.

Thanks Tim.

Plywood is more resistant to the warping caused by moisture exposure than plank wood, but still should be very well sealed to reduce moisture problems. Your hardware store is likely to have a limited set of choices of hardwood plywood.

If you're going to seal it well, it shouldn't matter too much how natively resistant the wood is to water. Pick something that will stain up to match the stand. Paint the inside white for the best light reflection, and the outside however you like it.

If you want to go for an unfinished look, the cypress is a good idea.

i used 1 x 2 poplar for an internal frame, and covered it with 1/4 inch oak plywood and 1 x 2 and 1 x 3 oak trim. as long as you seal it, you shouldnt have any problems with water seeping into the wood.

thay said, i havent treated the inside of my hood, and i have no problems with water damage on the oak or poplar... but, im usually pretty careful to wipe down the wood if i do get water on it.

~mike

mp3z24 said:
thay said, i havent treated the inside of my hood, and i have no problems with water damage on the oak or poplar...
Does the heat from the light prevent condensation from forming there?

dskidmore said:
mp3z24 said:
thay said, i havent treated the inside of my hood, and i have no problems with water damage on the oak or poplar...
Does the heat from the light prevent condensation from forming there?
well, that may have a part in it... it definately isnt cool up in there, so nothing is really going to condense.

i guess the real concern is water that is spashed up from doing water changes or maintenance. like i said, im usually pretty good about wiping down any water i do get on the hood or stand, mostly so it doesnt dry up into salt crystals. i do have some light staining around the nails that i used to tack the poplar together, and i can pretty much attribute it to splashing water when i am doing cleaning in the tank.

it would be best to treat the inside with a water resistant paint or sealer... im just lazy. :oops:

~mike

Using white paint on the inside also increases your lighting efficiency, even if it didn't need sealing.

Back
Top Bottom