U-shaped CF screw in bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpeedEuphoria

Aquarium Advice Addict
I read many post from like '06 where these style bulbs were readily available in good K temps and smaller wattages. I have looked a quite a few websites and the only ones I see currently are 40w+ and/or the color temp is like 3000K.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a bulbs that is available with a good K rating and is not the spiral/pigtail type screw in CF.

It seems they stop making those a while ago. The only place I can still get the U-shaped CF is at Ikea, and they don't list the K rating. The daylight CF's seemed to have disappeared, even in the pigtails.

Thanks seems the only thing on those bulbs I found says 2700K.

They still make quite a few spiral/pigtail CF's w/ good "daylight" or "fullspectrum" Kelvin ratings between 5500K and 6500K. Currently I'm using 2x GE 20w 6500K spirals(GE makes 15w/20w/26w in 6500K). I also found some cheap bulbs from wallgreens 4 for $10 they are 5800K for 13&18w then 6500K for 26w, made by Feit Electric. Heres the info on the cheap Feit bulbs
Welcome to Feit Electric Company, Inc.
Daylight 100 Light Bulb | Feit Electric | Walgreens

Last edited:
The Marineland bulbs are 5100k, which looks good to my eye-not too pink. The plants seem to do well with 'em on my 5g and 10g (two bulbs on the 10.)

sorry was posting about the Ikea Sparsam bulbs that jsoong was talking about.

Well I did find these bulbs by "Lights Of America", they have 20w but seem to be out of stock, I guess walmart used to sell these.
Lights of America 20W compact fluorescent bright bulb (2220S-2VP) - 2 pack
They also have a 25w bulb with a slightly lower Kelvin temp.

This is the listed retailers, but I'm not sure if anyone carries these anylonger, I will check, I believe walmart stopped carring them in late '06, I'll email them to ask.
Retailer Directory

Last edited:
Thanks JohnPaul, I have looked over that site and nothing for my application. They have a few U shaped bulbs but like I was saying they are normally like 40w and have like 2700K temps.

In lieu of that I have been doing more homework and have founs a couple things.

This is a cheaper bulb for pelcoperson, the "colormax" should work good with the 6700K bulb and is slightly cheaper. Its 10w, so not for me.
Small Aquarium Lighting: Mini Compact Bulbs

Back
Top Bottom