uaru in a community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Denny1985

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone I have been offered a uaru that is just over 6inches and the owner of it says it lives in a community tank with silver dollars and platy and doesn't even touch the fry and should be ok in my tank with guppy,platys and mollies and they say it is not aggressive at all does anyone else have any experiences about this or theories?thanks

Please don't duplicate your threads. It only serves to confuse those trying to help you. :)

I wouldn't add it to my tank with the stocking list that you already have plus you didn't mention your tank size or water params. Those guys can grow quite large and will deff eat your fry in due time. Big fish almost always eats small fish just remember that. Not to mention they are an amazon soft water loving fish and all your live bearers are the complete opposite.

Thanks very much ur rite I should have checked that info I won't purchase him or maybe I will get him but put him in a tank on his own once I set it up

Uaru are amazing fish. Before I knew enough I kept one in a 30 gallon tank. As it grew I got a 125 for him. That fish is long gone but now I have 6. They do much better in groups and need a lot of space. In the 125 they didn't eat my green fire tetras but in the 75 they did. They eat mostly vegetable but love all food. Anything that can fit in their mouth really.

xander said:
Uaru are amazing fish. Before I knew enough I kept one in a 30 gallon tank. As it grew I got a 125 for him. That fish is long gone but now I have 6. They do much better in groups and need a lot of space. In the 125 they didn't eat my green fire tetras but in the 75 they did. They eat mostly vegetable but love all food. Anything that can fit in their mouth really.

Ain't that the truth lol! They are awesome cichlids!

Back
Top Bottom