UGFs really do produce a lot of mulm!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
greenmaji said:
dskidmore... resealing glass tanks is not to hard IME and canister filters would be a great option for a eruobraced tank.. I hope you have good luck with it.. :p
A) I tried. I can't seem to get the silicone to lay nicely in the corners. I keep getting air bubbles.
B) I'm cheap. I did not have a canister filter in the budget at the time. (Dropped quite a few pretty pennies on the 75 gallon, but that's a charity case. :))
C) I bought the 75 gallon, so that will keep me busy for quite some time.
D) The "third shelf" of my new stand is currently slated for a pair of 10 gallon tanks, that will keep me busy when I'm done with the 75 gallon setup.

Reverse UGFs seem to solve most of the problems commonly attributed to UGFs.

Didn't know I'd spark so much discussion. :? Anyway, greenmaji, you're right, UGFs definately have a place in aquaria. It provides a low current filter and it is also fairly cheap, and generally it works great! As far as siphoning the mulm out, I didn't know I should do that. To me the objection I have to UGFs is the maintaince involved-- breaking down tanks to clean it once a year is too much for me. :mrgreen:

coolchinchilla said:
To me the objection I have to UGFs is the maintaince involved-- breaking down tanks to clean it once a year is too much for me. :mrgreen:

If you can get most of the mulm out of it by the above techniques I discribed you really dont have to break the things down.. and besides.. fry grow up.. LOL

Ive also found that even with reverse flow UGF configurations that syphoning out mulm from under the plate still gets mulm out from under the plate.. just not as much.. just for everyones information.. HTH

greenmaji said:
I have not used a UGF in 15 years.. for a good reason.. the gravel in your tank is not the best bio-filter media out there..

As long as your ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0, it doesn't matter whether you have the best biological filter. Once you hit 0, there's nothing left to filter out.

Just my Nickel here...
but i dont reccomend them. it causes more work that could just be done with a gravel vaccing. never ever use one in a panted tank.

Mostly i replied because of the guy who said his lfs used them in marine tanks. if your interested check out info on the Jaubert system of Marine tanks. a ugf sort of makes a jaubert system which is anaerobic area of water under the sand bed. i think the trend now is to use Deep Sand Beds to acheive the same thing with less cost and work

I wonder if the debate with UGFs comes from a change in the hobby.
My folks came out here to Colorado to visit this year. Every other year I have been going out there to North Carolina. They were very anxious to see our aquariums, especially because they were into the hobby about 15 years ago. The topic of filters came up and they said 15 years ago every person they asked swore by the UGF. We talked more about what I was hoping to do with my tank and the things I needed to buy still and my Dad seemed amazed at how the "technology" had changed in the hobby.
Kind of makes you wonder what we will be putting in our tanks 50 years from now. Personally I'm excited about having a filter that scans the water with a LAZER every five minutes checking all the water perameters (Finding Nemo). :mrgreen:

Just if it were so easy PBirdsong. :D That would be really cool to be able to have the filter tell you that your Nitrates were high.

krap101 said:
none of the pics work :(

Im guessing your refering to the cichlid-forum link.. It apperars they have removed external pictures.. you can rightclick on the pictures and find the address they are located at if your intrested in seeing them.. HTH

mobiusnu said:
greenmaji said:
I have not used a UGF in 15 years.. for a good reason.. the gravel in your tank is not the best bio-filter media out there..

As long as your ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0, it doesn't matter whether you have the best biological filter. Once you hit 0, there's nothing left to filter out.

my point was I use other filters such as HOB's and canisters ect. ect.. making the UGF unnessisary.. I really dont like using my gravel as a mechanical filter as well.. unless the UGF is being used exclusively it defeats the purpose of the mechanical filtration in your HOB or Canister by sucking the everything into the gravel..

Back
Top Bottom