Ugh! Female Betta has a flesh eating disease!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Violet, my female Betta at work has taken a bad turn since yesterday. She is in a 1g aquarium (I know not ideal) with some plants & a recently added heater, I always add aquarium salt & water conditioner when changing water. A couple weeks ago I noticed a grayish spot on her back & added Pimafix to her aquarium, it seemed to be going away. Earlier this week it was back but a little worse, I changed her water & added the Pimafix on Tues. & today it's MUCH worse, her top fin is all but gone & she didn't want to eat this morning, she's mostly just laying in the bottom of the aquarium. I did another water change today & added Pimafix & will go at lunch to get the Melafix. I think I made a HUGE mistake when I added a plant that I didn't buy specific for an aquarium, this all started shortly after. I hope it's not too late, whatever this appears to be eating her flesh. I feel so bad because she doesn't feel good, she's usually watching me while I work & getting excited. Not today :-(

image-1554429557.jpg

Sorry your betta isn't well. :(

I don't have any experience with what you describe, but I suggest water changes, water changes, and more water changes!

Keeping ammonia and nitrites in check is going to be very important -- good water quality will help your betta's immune system fight off whatever is ailing it.

Since you stated that the 1 gallon isn't ideal, I'm guessing you know that it is very hard to maintain good water quality in that small of a volume of water.

I don't understand your circumstances, so this isn't a criticism in any way, but just some advice.

In my opinion, were it me, in one gallon, I'd do 50% water changes daily as a matter of routine. Pollutants can build up very quickly in that volume of water -- and as soon as I could, I'd try to upgrade to a 5 gallon filtered and heated tank -- or as close to that as I could manage.

Best of luck and I hope your betta improves!

Back
Top Bottom