Ugh what the what ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is ammo outta the tap!! Seriously I'm trying to cycle this is frustrating ... I've not had my kit that long is it bad already !? I cannot keep paying 30 bucks for tests if they go bad so quickly. Anyone have any ideas ??

Attachments

• image-2939633889.jpg
    image-2939633889.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 83
Flossie said:
This is ammo outta the tap!! Seriously I'm trying to cycle this is frustrating ... I've not had my kit that long is it bad already !? I cannot keep paying 30 bucks for tests if they go bad so quickly. Anyone have any ideas ??

It seems you have chloramines in your tap water (chlorine / ammonia mixture). They're used by your municipality to treat and sanitize the drinking water. Just make sure you have a quality dechlorinator like Seachem Prime to use during PWC's to neutralize the ammonia content for long enough that the bio-filter can consume it. :)

You could be seeing the chlorimine in the tap water. What's it like after you cure it?

EDIT: DOH! That faster than lightening eco beat me to it. +1 to the big guy :dance:.

How will I know if my tanks are cycled or not? Will it change with prime? Yikes I'm not sure how this works...

U guys don't slap me on the wrist but I found a couple goldies I had to have ( babies ) and I put them in a brand new qt tank and I've been dosing with stability and doing PWC but the ammo is reading 1 and I guess that's why. The PWC aren't helping? I've had the GF like 8 or 9 days. Stability works great... It knocked my fishless cycle right in for my cichlids but I was already about a month into cycling. I Don't have any prime ... Grrr

Most water conditioners will detoxify, but not remove ammonia (including in the chloramines). You have to use the 24 hour time table to measure your bio-filters conversion ability which is obviously complicated by the addition of the goldfish. Luckily Prime (if you can get some), temporarily detoxifies ammo and no2 for 24-36 hours to buy you time between pwc's to protect your fish and test where you are in your cycle.

I have absolutely nothing positive I can say about Stability...so I'll leave that and the goldfish in the QT issue to Mr. Limpet :)

Last edited:
Flossie said:
How will I know if my tanks are cycled or not? Will it change with prime? Yikes I'm not sure how this works...

U guys don't slap me on the wrist but I found a couple goldies I had to have ( babies ) and I put them in a brand new qt tank and I've been dosing with stability and doing PWC but the ammo is reading 1 and I guess that's why. The PWC aren't helping? I've had the GF like 8 or 9 days. Stability works great... It knocked my fishless cycle right in for my cichlids but I was already about a month into cycling. I Don't have any prime ... Grrr

hehe... nice pass eco :p.

I don't know anything about stability, but if it's supposed to detox you tap water, then the waste from the goldies is what's keeping your ammo high in the uncycled QT. They're pooping machines and need lots of filtration (even babies), so I'd cut way down on the feeding till you can get the ammo down. Any bottled water around till you can get some Prime?

EDIT: Any no2 or no3 showing up?

Lol, sorry :). The Seachem Stability is another of the "instant cycling" bottled bacteria products. To put it simply, there are less than proven or reliable results with it. I would highly recommend against considering it as guaranteed success for an instantly cycled tank in the future. Without going into specifics...the month of cycling is what seemed to make Stability work, IMO, not the product itself. It may have caused the appearance of a cycled tank after all that time, and may have pushed you over the last hurdle...but I don't believe that is where any credit is due.

How big is the QT the goldfish are in? As Mr. Limpet said, goldfish have a huge bio-load, and if the tank is small you may be in for quite a challenge trying to keep water parameters within safe(ish) ranges while the tank cycles.

My personal advise would be to stop using the bottled bacteria product, and try to either re-home the goldfish or find them a suitable sized tank if your QT is of smaller size.

Last edited:
Ahh. Well the stability isn't gonna deal with detoxing the tap water, so there's your first problem Flossie. Get some Prime ASAP and double dose (per instructions) to cut the ammo down below .25ppm.

Eco brings up a good point about the size of the QT, but even a 10g should be ok for a short time till you get a 30g setup up for them (soon?). Goldies need 20g for the first one and 10 for each additional goldie (minimum) in the long run.

Oh, pics please of your new babies :D.

I know I made a mistake with the goldies but I also know if I take them back to PetSmart they wi be worse off. Don't worry mr limpet.. It's Not the same terrible PetSmart ... I will never buy from them again! Haha I wouldnt have got them from the other PetSmarts but one of them
Were the cutest I've ever seen ( I'm such a girl) and I knew I could QT them. Anyway the qt is a ten gallon with an hob aqeoun filter and a hob tetra whisper filter both for
10g and I'm doing the PWCs... there is like hardly and waste in there Which freaked me out at first until I saw the filter actually suck it in the other day... I've heard awesome stuff about prime and I know I really need to get some. As for the stability I know my 55 cichlid was takin forever and the stability kicked it right in... However I also have a couple ten gallons I'm trying to cycle and the nitrites aren't budging.. So idk ??

Oh me limpet they are Going to a lovely 55 g home ;) thank u guys for ur input and not scolding me :) I have learned a lot but I'm still trying to learn my own methods as well as trusting myself... I guess it'll still be a while lol

Attachments

• image-2434708114.jpg
    image-2434708114.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 67
Hmm are u able to transfer some filter media from Ur cichild tank to Ur qt tank? That will help with the cycling. What kinda water conditioner are u using ATM? Btw is ur 55 gallon empty?

Hubert90 said:
Hmm are u able to transfer some filter media from Ur cichild tank to Ur qt tank? That will help with the cycling. What kinda water conditioner are u using ATM? Btw is ur 55 gallon empty?

I was doing PWC adding water from
The cichlid tank... I know thats not enough but I have been using stability as well and fresh water and the ammo is 1 and Seeing what the tap is reading 1 i must be doing something right bc it was much higher the first day or two.The new 55 is empty yes :) I can use some media but I can't spare the whole filter and I dunno if the cartridge is dirty enough yet... I think I did rinse the established filter cartridge
in tank water and poured it in the qt in the beginning ..

Oh and I'm using aqueon conditioner but today I used some tetra I had a sample of... My water is normally over conditioned bc I'm afraid of not putting enough lol

Flossie said:
I was doing PWC adding water from
The cichlid tank... I know thats not enough but I have been using stability as well and fresh water and the ammo is 1 and Seeing what the tap is reading 1 i must be doing something right bc it was much higher the first day or two.The new 55 is empty yes :) I can use some media but I can't spare the whole filter and I dunno if the cartridge is dirty enough yet... I think I did rinse the established filter cartridge
in tank water and poured it in the qt in the beginning ..

O ok ya try seedin Ur filter. And not sure if the others agree with me but if u 55g is empty and after about 14 days of QT u can transfer ur goldfish over to Ur 55g since both aint cycled, they will be much happier in the 55 and u will be less stress because less pwc are needed compare to when they are in the 10.

U should look into getting prime or other conditioner. I believe API stress coat removes both chlorine and chloramines! Thats what it says on the bottle.

I was kinda thinking that myself but idk maybe a miracle will happen and all my tanks will instantly cycle!! Hahahaha anywho the aqueon says it does all that stuff idk I took a pic of the description cause I'm cool like that :D hopefully u can read it

Attachments

• image-3669328835.jpg
    image-3669328835.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 47
Ok so that pic didn't work out so well ;) maybe I should copy and paste :) haha

Aqueon Water Conditioner

Instantly neutralizes choline and chloramines typically found in tap water, making it safe for fish
Aids in restoring a fish's natural slime coat to skin and gills, which can be worn away from netting and transporting fish
Helps reduce stress in fish as they become familiar with their new environment
Detoxifies heavy metals, ammonia and other elements released from fish waste
Safe for use with fresh or saltwater aquariums

4.7 / 5
3 out of 3(100%)customers recommend this product.

allaboutfish said:
i read it sideways an then found out you posted it the right way.

Hahaha its cool all my fault :)

Back
Top Bottom