uh oh....ICK!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, so I think both my gramma and 6 line have ick....little white spots and the gramma is flashing. From what I've read I need to get them out and into a QT tank (which I don't have at the moment) for 8 weeks, hyposalinity and maybe some copper meds. The wrasse I have had since last August, the gramma for 3 months now. Both are still happy and eating. My big question is how big of a QT tank am I going to need to cram these guys (plus a pygmy angel who looks fine at the moment) into for 8 weeks? The wrasse is a feisty little sucker and I don't think he's going to like QT very much. Am I better getting 2 smaller tanks?? What about filtration? I've never had to set up a QT before so I need some advice!

newfound,

I would recommend a 20 gallon long as your qt tank. I like that size mainly because of the surface area and the fact that they are easy to maintain. All you will need for a qt tank is a sponge filter, heater and some source of light so you can monitor your fish's progress as the parasite goes away.

There are several ways to treat marine ich and being a qt tank copper would be the fastest while Hyposalinity would be the safest. That said I have used copper on a variety of fish, to treat parasites, and not had any problems. You would be safest to qt all your fish and treat them all since if one fish has ich the entire tank has been exposed, though if they are not showing signs on infection they may not need qt'd and treated.

The best way to filter a qt tank is this: Get a sponge filter running on an air pump in your sump. When you need your qt tank running just place that same sponge filter in the qt aquarium and you have an instant bio-filter. When your done bleach the sponge filter, rinse, repeat.

I would also suggest the hyposalinity with the use of a refractometer.

OK. I don't have a sump, so no place to put a sponge filter. However, I do have access to some seeded bio media that I can put in a HOB filter and some PVC pieces so the fish can hide and not kill each other. I also have a small heater and a light from another tank. I think I will go with either a 15g or a 20 long, which I will hopefully pick up tomorrow. From what I've been reading, seems like a salinity of 14 ppt is what I'm shooting for. How fast/slow should I lower the salinity from 32 to 14 ppt? Then keep them in there for 30 days to 6 weeks before putting them back into the main tank. I'm also guessing I should gradually up the salinity before they go back in. Does all this sound right?

I have a couple of fish in hypo treatment. How long is it safe to leave them under hypo conditions?

If you read Stephen`s article here it suggest 14 days to get rid of the parasite. Read it to know more about the parasite.

Back
Top Bottom