Uh oh.. Whats going on...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEverii

Aquarium Advice Freak
So overnight, a lot of my coralline algae on some of my rocks have went from a pretty purple to bone white, grey, and some green areas. Overnight! I didnt dose anything alst night. I did do a kalkwasser drip a few nights ago, about 1 drip every 1.5 seconds. Somehow managed to drip a full 32oz bottle of kalkwasser in there. Did something go wrong with my dripping? I cant think of anything else that could be going on that would make my coalline algae do this. Just checked my parameters. Most everything was normal....

Ammonia: .25 (doing a water change asap)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: .10/20 (pretty close)
pH: 8.2
Phosphate: 0
Calcium: 380

What could have spiked my ammonia and killed my coralline algae?

Another question:

I've had some left over salt water from a water change I did about 2 weeks ago. Its been sitting still in the trash can since the change. No powerhead or anything. Can I still use it?

Two week, I would say you`ll be ok but I would give it a good stirring to aerate it. How long have you had the rock?

So overnight, a lot of my coralline algae on some of my rocks have went from a pretty purple to bone white, grey, and some green areas. Overnight! I didnt dose anything alst night. I did do a kalkwasser drip a few nights ago. Just checked my parameters. Most everything was normal....

Ammonia: .25 (doing a water change asap)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: .10/20 (pretty close)
pH: 8.2
Phosphate: 0
Calcium: 380
I don't see a KH reading?
Why did you drip Kalk? Did you test for it?

I've had the rock since my cycle, so about 6 months.

KH is 9dKH or 161.1ppm

And i dripped because the guy at the LFS said that it couldnt do anything bad, only good. Said it might bring my dead hammer coral back. The way he explained it made sense...

Is older salt water supposed to smell...bad? Just opened the trash can with my old salt water in it and it kind of smells like old leftover food lol...

don't use the stinky water. make some new water, and don't drip kalkwasser unless you have a specific need for it.
nothing brings dead coral back.

So whats going to happen about my what looks like dead coralline algae? what could have made it turn the color it is now?

More then likely it's your Kalk drip that did it. Is the 9dkh before or after the drip? What is it now?

its 9dkh now. Not sure what it was before the drip. But I did the drip like, 3-4 nights ago.

Will my coralline algae be alright and grow back?

Also, retested my ammonia 2 more times before doing the water change with the stinky water. Tested 0 both times. Not sure why i got a false reading the first time. (using chemical drip test kit btw, not the sticks)

i think it will be fine if you keep your parameters stable.
i would get on a regular water change regimen. everything you need is in your salt mix.

You really only need to dose kalk and stuff when you get into tons of coral and your calcium and other trace levels are being depleted faster then your water changes can keep up with. There is a very delicate balance between calcium/alk/mg that shouldn't be tampered with unless you really have a need and know what you are doing.

Not blaming you or trying to make you feel bad. I have lots of bookmarks on good reading pertaining to the subject if you are interested.

dont cut them out of the will just yet. All LFSs will give bad info. Let the quality of their goods be your judge.

Back
Top Bottom