uh-oh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourFRESH

Aquarium Advice Freak
i saw the thread about human diseases on the monster island forum, and i think i have that mycobacterium crap! i've had these small nodules form on my hands since last weak, and haven't really healed or gone away...i'm seeing the doctor on monday, hopefully

8O

yes, i am not too incredibly worried about it, the thing that triggered me to realizing this is the fact that i have a LOT of cuts on my fingers from work and i've never even thought about getting any disease from my aquarium through them

if it turns out i test positive for it, then i guess my ram doesn't have an internal parasite after all, but rather TB....god damn :(

I have tones of cuts, gashes, scrapes on my hands and arms from either my cats, riding the atv or work, and i have my hands all the way down in the tank all the time, In like 5 years of dealing with tanks the only thing I ever hgad happen was bad breath from some jerk putting really gross green water from a tank of mine in an alcholic beverage i was drinbking and not tell me lol, talk about nasty lol

Granulomas, caused by bacterium marinum are faily rare, but do occurr and require a long course of antibiotic treatment. Someone on one of these forums had it, and it took 6 months of treatment. Part of the problem is that most doctors aren't aware of it. It would be a good idea to mention to the doctor to look at B. marinum as a possibility. Good luck.

Wow, good luck. Like the others said, a Mycobacterium marinum infection is very rare, and even more rare in fw. Definitley make sure that you tell your doctor about your hobby, and the possibility of a mycobacterium infection. Best of luck, and do keep us updated!

Edit, to include this link. I googled it. Rather interesting, and will give you some more detailed info to tell your doc, if he/she is unfamiliar with it.

http://www.emedicine.com/DERM/topic281.htm

Back
Top Bottom