uncycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dalfa96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so i made an impulse buy and didnt know about the cycle so i bought 8 serpae tetra and 3 paleatus cory. i have a 10 gallon kit came with filter and heater i keep the temperature at 80f four of the serpae have died up until yesterday i found out i have to change the water when the ammonia gets over .25 the tank is a week old as of today. i feel bad having killed so many fish i don't want more to die. every time i change the water i add quick start and i also have the readistart nitrifying bacteria starter that i add everyday i also have the freshwater master test kit and check the water everyday. what can i do to keep the fish alive and ammonia down

Water changes. Try and keep your ammonia + nitrite combined below 0.5ppm.

As per my reply to your other post, your priority should be cycling the tank. While you might diagnose whatever is wrong with the fish and treat it, they would still be in an uncycled tank and possibly back at square 1. Medication runs the risk of crashing what little cycle you have. It's likely ammonia poisoning, and i dont know of a treatment for that beyond clean water.

Also look at your tank size and stock. 10g is too small for the fish you have.

Back
Top Bottom