Undergravel users..Need some advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osprey85

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a undergravel filter from a friend. It has 4 sections with 4 tubes. I am setting up a 55 gallon saltwater fish tank with the intention of using it for fish only (not coral, reef, etc). What else do I need with it? Like air pump? Tubes? etc? (brand, price?)
OR is there a better/easier method of cleaning the gravel?
I've known someone who used an undergravel filter in the past and loved it. Has anyone used it for saltwater and liked it??

Thanks in advance :)

If you want to go with a UGF, use powerheads instead of air pumps. And UGFs do not clean gravel, they use gravel as media for mechanical filtration. The gravel has to be vacuumed regularly to keep it from clogging.

that was the past. there are far better ways to keep a salt water tank. i would not use the undergravel filter. it's a maintenance headache.

that was the past. there are far better ways to keep a salt water tank. i would not use the undergravel filter. it's a maintenance headache.

Agreed! I use to have one in a tank about five years ago and just has he said an unnecessary headache.

Back
Top Bottom