Unexplained fish deaths . Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would rinse your water changer outside with a lot of water. Could have been splashed with anything or exposed to anything in the laundry room.

I'll do that thanks. Angel and danios have started gravitating towards the top of the tank recently. Not gasping just staying more near the top than usual

I use one too. Best thing I ever bought. After I'm done sucking water out I flip to fill then dose Prime for the whole tank and put it in right near where the hose is. After im done I make sure to get all the water out of the hose so it doesn't get moldy. I would try buying some fish somewhere else and see what happens. I have a store near me that always has cool fish in stock but I never buy there anymore because everytime I do they cause disease or die and its a family run business.

Thanks for the info. I'll try using the syphon like that again next water change. I think it may be the issue since I started having issues once I started using it. I'm going to let the tank sit for a while and see if any more deaths occur. I dosed with prime yesterday afternoon just in case there was a chlorine issue and not only haven't had a death but the fish are more active. As for he lfs there is another I can try but the tanks look pretty shabby.

Hmmm ok- yea, I would have my head spun around on this one too, lol. The only thing different that I can come up with is I use sterile cups and specified buckets/ jugs, not a water changer... Just input.

I added more prime yesterday and today all the fish are more active and are eating normally. Barring anything else odd I'm guessing its chlorine. Just didn't know that would kill a loach so fast lol :(

I guess it just shows no matter how long I keep fish there is always the chance something can and will go wrong eventually.

I wonder if your town was doing something with the water supply. Maybe they increased the chlorine recently

That's always possible as well. I'm always amazed at how bad our supposedly fresh water actually tastes out of the tap.

Would that show on the water report? It's from 2005.

Call and ask. They are not obligated to tell you anything in respect to how they process your water, what they use or how they do it as long as they meet federal, Epa & state regulations. If they changed something or even the source they have been using, it may have been enough to affect your fish. Worth asking but dont be surprised if they are not exactly forthcoming with information.

I would also ask them to email or mail you a copy of their most recent water report. 2005 is almost a decade old. Good luck!

Thank you! I hope that's not the case but it seems very possible.

No deaths since Sunday, so far so good.

Ok, I changed my water today 25% and everyone looks happy in the tank. I bought 2 panda cories and am drip acclimating them before adding them to the tank. Wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom