Unhealthy Java Fern! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tdwyer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 30g community tank, well established.

I only have java fern and an unidentified tall grass-like plant (grows like a weed, looks like grass, that I use as a background plant).

The grass-like plant is quite healthy and grows more than I would like! :)
However, my java ferns, especially the big two that have attached onto the wood in the tank, isn't doing so well. A lot of the leaves over the last few months have developed brown spots, that have slowly turned into holes.

I don't have a Co2 system, the pet store we have is very limited and the stores that use to refill Co2 have discontinued that service to us few hobbyist that have used their services in the past. I also use simple rock in my tank, as other types of gravel is unavailable as well (small town).

So to assist the plants I use "Fluval: Plant Micro Nutrients". While the bottle suggests weekly doses, I am kind of cautious about dosing my tank so much. I am kind of worried it would do more bad than good, as I am am not sure what long term use of this product would do to the water, etc. Has anyone used this product before?

I have been trying to become more aware about how long I keep the lighting in the tank on, as I am trying to limit the tank to having lighting for 6-8hrs (it varies, as I usually forget to turn it off until late at night).

I clipped some really bad looking pieces today, but am still hoping to somehow save the plant. It is a few years old and I haven't ever encountered this problem.

Any help or suggestions would be welcomed, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom