Unidentified bumps on eyes of my telescopic goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Pinkie my telescopic goldfish, has weird bumps/spots in his eyes, they look like they are full with milk. He had them before, but after a few days I guess they popped and disappeared. He was perfectly fine for over a month. Until 2 days ago, when I noticed that the bumps in his eyes are back and he now has a lump on his right side next to his gills. The scales are raised like in Dropsie but its only over that are. I know that its not dropsi because I dealt with it before, in a different fish.

My other fish S.S. a black moor, which is in the same tank, has none of those symptoms, now or ever. However today its bottom sitting and yawning. I have no idea what is going on.

I am sorry, I should have mentioned that:
- its a 10 gallon tank
-there are 2 goldfish in the tank, my telescopic Pinkie is about 2inches and SS is just over 1.5 inches
-water quality is perfect I checked last night and today as I am concerned about my fish
=I do water changes every week on friday
-I vacuum the gravel ever friday as well, the filter is rinsed in the same water always,
- the filter is Aqua Clear 20
- I feed them Nurtafin soaked flake food
- when I brought them home the tank was partly cycled( I had some problems with Nitrite but kept it to a minimum with frequent water changes I used prime and cycle to help)
- no big changes except to moving about a month ago.

Please help me.

First, is the telescopic fish part Oranda ... does it have a wen (head growth)? Pustules (bumps filled with milk like fluid are likely pustules) in the wen (which can grow to the top of the eyelids) are fairly common & is nothing to worry about. <It happens when the crevices of the wen have a bit of decaying skin/dirt trapped.>

If it is actually in the eyelid, or under scales, that might be more sinister. Spots inside the eyes themselves are prob brain flukes & bad news.

A picture will really help. Also, what size is the bump, and is it getting bigger? Any other symptoms?

Also, check out a picture of breeding stars if you don't know what those are & make sure that is not what you are seeing.

hopr the pictures help.

Thank you for your help..I really appreciate it.

I am not sure if my telescopic is part oranda,it might be.
The only other thing I would say, is different, is that his poop had air in it, and I noticed yellowish/golden spots on him, but I am not 100% sure that they were not there before, they are very hard to see. I didnt know the spots were there till I took the pictures.
The bump on the side is not changing, or growing.

Besides the changes I mentioned he seem happy, active, eats, all fins up, still follows my finger and comes up to be hand fed.

I am sorry the pictures are not clear. I hope they help though.
and thanks again for the help

Attachments

• DSC_0144.jpg
    DSC_0144.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_0140.jpg
    DSC_0140.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Pinkie.jpg
    Pinkie.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 94
The coloring might be part Oranda, however, the wen is not developed if it is ..... At any rate, those are not the typical "pimples" in the wen.

Those spots don't look normal to me, although I can't say for sure what it is. Are the eyes getting bigger? Those eyes are sticking out more than I would expect for a young fish, plus the fact that the left seems much bigger than the right is worrisome. That lump on the right side is also not good.

My guess is either a tumor, or internal parasites. If you can look directly into the eyes (through the pupils), see if there are spots or flecks. That might indicate flukes. A single eye that is getting bigger is often a result of flukes.

Without a body scrape & exam under the microscope, it is difficult to say for sure what this is. It might be worthwhile to try to treat for internal parasites. (Esp. if the fish is not growing.) Praziquental is the drug of choice here (used in food, not in water). <An eg would be Jungle's anti-parasite food.> you might also want to QT the fish as parasites can easily spread.

Yah I wasn't sure if he was part Oranda, I thought it might be, but like you mentioned the wen is not developed...
The symptoms haven't changed: side bump or the milk filled things on the eyes have not grown or popped.

About the size of the eyes.. I know they are really big for his size, but when I got him all the other fish had huge eyes like that too, the store owner was surprised as well when she got them in.

Also one of the eyes was always a little bigger, it never grew bigger. In the picture it appears bigger than it really is.

I looked to check for flecks/spots in the eye, and I dont see any. I compared the two fish and the only difference is that when you look into his eyes it reflects shiny red unlike the other fish. does that mean anything?

I never really thought about it it but he never grew since I got him I thought it was just because of the aquarium size.

I will QT Pinkie, and get the medicated food if you still think I should after the extra info.
I really want this guys to be healthy and live a long happy life.

The proportion of the eye to body size is one indication of stunted fish ... it is quite possible that the breeder has infected stock & all the fish are stunted. That and the fact that the fish had not grown over a couple months indicates something wrong. <I don't think it is your tank size, they should grow with 2 babies in a 10 ... prob to 3" or so before you need to upgrade.>

Shinny red eyes through the pupils are good ... that indicates a clear lens.

I am leaning towards treating the fish on spec. I normally hate treating without a firm diagnosis, but I think there are enough symptoms to warrant intervention. <Besides, you won't be able to accurately diagnose that lump on the side without cutting into it.> Also, people on the goldfish boards are now advocating prophylactic treatment of all new fish for parasites during QT because most breeding stocks are infected & Prazi had proved to be safe for the fish.

Hi, I have been unsuccessful in finding the food or any medicated food that you recommended, I went to several locations and even my local store that specializes in fish only and they didn't even have it. The only thing I found was anti-parasite tank buddies by Jungle's. Would you recommend using that, if not is there anything else I can use.
The fish is doing well, It was QT for a while but that drove my other fish crazy and I had to push to two tanks together so they can see each other <is that normal?>. The bump on the side is getting smaller, but I am worried that whatever it is might be spreading internal. Also the white things on the eyes grew and popped and now new little ones are growing again in different spots.

Back
Top Bottom