unkillable ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Navyboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
30 gal tank. 4 serpea tetras, 2 redwag platys, 2 sunfire wag platys, 3 dalmation mollys 1 chinese algea eater and 1 reedfish, 2 tiger 2 red tipped sharks 2 tiger stripped plecos. Tank IS heavily Planted.
this was my tanks original inhabitance.
Then my tank was hit with ICH, which i believe came from plant carriers bought from a LFS.
mt steps
1. raised tank temp to approx. 84 degrees
2. upper salinity slightly
3. 1 water change a day of 10% and 1 every 4 days of 30%
4. added ICH Ataack, none copper 100% natural
5. daily vacuming of substrate
1st week lost the sharks and 2 tetra
2nd week lost both plecos and 1 red wag platy and 1 sunfire wag platy
3rd week havnt lost any fish, but everything is infected except 1 redwag platy, reed fish, chinese algea eater and all 3 danios.
what do i do now?
next to zero ammonia, nitrates, nitrites
GH is 75 zero chlorine kh is 120 ph is 6.8
any help would be greatly appreciated

Raise your temp higher. If you're doing 10% water changes daily, how is it that you're able to do all the substrate? I would do 50% every other day.

I'm surprised, with as diligent as you're being, that the ich is still so bad and you've lost so many fish. Of course, the sharks, tetras and plecos would've been very sensitive to the salt.

vacuum with a screened cover and i didnt add a ton of salt :( i dunno why this crap wont die :(

If you can, get a bottle of Kordon's Rid-Ich Plus. Don't forget to remove any carbon you may have from your filter if using it, but this stuff has a great reputation and works fast!

Turn heat up to 86° get kosher salt, add 1 tbsp per 5 gallons. Vacuum daily do at least 50% wc. Add salt back for what u removed.

Plecos and Tetras cannot tolerate salt for extended periods of time, so if the salt isn't doing the trick (Or even if it does) you will need to do a series of large water changes and thorough gravel vacs to get rid of the salt or it will eventually kill them. Adding salt too quickly can make the problem more acute, and can also kill your good bacteria.

When I had an ich breakout in my tank, I successfully treated it simply by increasing the temperature to 88 and doing multiple large water changes. There are several strains, though, some are resistant to medication, some are resistant to heat, some are resistant to both.

Back
Top Bottom