Unpacking after the move...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menagerie

Aquarium Advice Addict
...or more appropriately--Why did I move this from our last place???

As most of you know, Trevor and I had a LARGE moving sale before we moved. Still, not everything fit in the budget truck and we had to go back up to get the rest of our stuff. As we unpack things, I have to wonder what my drive was to keep some of the crap we have. Totally useless is a cheap knife block that came with a baker's rack. We have a wonderful knife block, why did I keep the cheap one too? Our couches--lovely, sturdy and made to last forever, but they do not fit in our apartment and I cannot move the large one with Trevor--it's too heavy. To save ourselves some headache, the couch set should have been sold in Calgary even though no one was coming near the asking price :BIG sigh: We use the couch, but the love seat is near the degu's cage and under a gerbil cage. I don't mind shavings on the couch, but somehow the degus launch their poo and it lands on the couch. GROSS.

So, what have you moved with that should have stayed behind?

We just moved... should have left the boyfriend behind!
ha, jp
I have a box of stuff that I havn't even touched yet cuz its stuff I just need to get rid of

Why don't you have a garage sale at your new place?
I think Stephens sisters are having a garage sale, so im going to definatly get rid of some stuff then

Well...it's been three years...but the memories are still fresh.

I wanted "my" chair...a big overstuffed...huge arm rest chair. Of course, when all was said and done, there was no place to put it.

A nice, fairly new futon couch...I wanted to put it on the patio...wife said it wouldn't fit. I insisted...it didn't fit. Ever try to move a futon down stairs?

And lastly, we knew we were losing closet space...for some reason we just didn't consider linens and towels as "space grabbers" This was an accumulation of twenty years...found we could not store all of them...nor would we really have wanted to keep all of them...some were twenty years old. :mrgreen:

I've been in my new house over a year now and can think of 5 boxes I have stored that I knew would probably never get unpacked. Mainly old books from my teenage years and the like.

We also have a wonderful set of All-Clad Stainless pans, but for some reason, I have a box of old pans that I know will never get used again (unless I start making candles and need to melt wax...hmmmmm....).

My wife moved a thigh master...three times (apartment, 1st house, this house) I've since disposed of it.

Bearfan said:
My wife moved a thigh master...three times (apartment, 1st house, this house) I've since disposed of it.

So at least you both got some exercise from it! You should go on their infomercial with a testimonial, "My wife and I both lost 15 pounds lugging this piece of crap from place to place!!:D

Things that I should've left at the curb on moving day:

An elliptical trainer that I really never use
A viciously uncomfortable futon sofa that I gave to one of the moving guys
Two shelf stereos with broken CD players
Lots of chipped dishes and glasses from my college days
A small, beat-up dresser that I had found
A file cabinet whose drawers never closed properly
Textbooks that I haven't touched since college

Toirtis said:
I'm mailing you this lovely brine-shrimp hatchery that you forgot and must be distraught without....

:lol: :lol:

I have been in my house for over three years and I still have boxes in the attic that I will unpack "later." Obviously, I have not had a need for whatever is in there. I always find that I throw away more things while unpacking after a move than I do packing before the move.

OH my gosh. We are having a garage sale next weekend and I have FINALLY convinced my hubby to get rid of some stuff we have been hauling around for 8 YEARS. Boxes upon boxes of stuff that he/we have just been hanging onto. Almost half of our garage was boxes we brought with us from our last TWO moves that had not even been opened!! A lot of it is guitar magazines that he has had since the 80's,(anybody interested??) cassette tapes he hasn't listened to in years. Some of my boxes were literally labeled "stuff" and "junk". Why we were hanging on to this stuff is beyond me.

On a different note, have you ever left something behind and wish you hadn't? Toirtis--do NOT send me that hatchery!

I sold a lovely corner shelf I was using in the bathroom and I am kicking myself now :sigh:

hmmmm..... I am not sure WHY I still have the hand-me-down couch from about 1972.... It was originally a rust/brown/orange tweed. I re-covered it and its still ugly as sin... anyone over 4 foot 3 cant get out of it once fully reclined... but it sits in my front living room.... the dogs love it...

Weight benches are nothing more then expensive laundry racks...as are treadmills... :roll:

Someone remind me what the exercise bike is for again??? oh yes.... laundry rack....

WHY-oh-WHY did I yard sale the headboard I made in shop class in highschool... it was Oak, bookcase style, and sturdy as heck... I sure miss that thing :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom