Update on Bearfan's New Tank Day 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
NH3 - .1 mg/l
NO3 - 20 mg/l
NO2 - .1 mg/l
CA - 450
Temp - 80.5

Okay, so here it is on day 5. Anyone have an opinion on the readings? My salinity is sky high as always.

Also, starting to get the algae on the sand and rock. What do people recommend to combat this. Mind you, the tank is still new. I did get 5 Scarlet Hermit Crabs (on sale, had a gift certificate, free) and do have a few snails from the LR, not to mention, I've seen a couple of crabs that didn't mind the bubble bath when I dipped the rock.

You can add RO water to reduce the salinity.

You can drop the temp a couple of degrees which will slow the algae growth a tiny bit. If you've got strong lights you don't need them yet. Turning them off, partly off (if you have the option), or reducing the amount of time they're on may reduce both the heat and the growth. Between the snails and crabs you've already got half the cleanup crew.

A 10% water change may speed things in terms of cycling time.

You can drop the temp a couple of degrees

I like it warmer acutally :)

As kevin said whats the salinity and why is it sky high? It should be somewhere between 1.020-1.025. Cycling really has no affect on salinity. For being 5 days into cycling with live rock that was shipped I think your readings look fairly good. Kind of suprised you have nitrate of 20 already.

For being 5 days into cycling with live rock that was shipped I think your readings look fairly good. Kind of suprised you have nitrate of 20 already.
The reason being for the presence of the Nitrates Aaron is that this rock is about as cured as you can get for MO.. I had about the same.. However it seems my levels went flat alot quicker.. Your levels look fine Bearfan I would also leave your temp where its at.. its a good temp.. Mine is usually between 82-84... Anyways you are looking awesome.. I think a few more days and you will be all set... Your snails and crabs that hitchhiked in should be just fine.. Your levels will bottom before you know it and if you take it slow you should be able to start adding fish by the new yr.. BTW salinity at 1.025 is a good salinity.. since you are doing reef try and shoot about 35ppt Refract.. or 1.025 hydrometer..

HTH,
James

I didn't mean salinity, it was a miss type. My salinity is 1.025.

What I meant was Alk, which is 4.6 Meq/L.

I'm gonna guess your using instant ocean, and that would be considered normal for their salt. When I used it I always had to tweak it with CaCl before I added it to the tank.

I use Tropic Marin.

If you'll do a search for "weird science", you'll be able to see all the issues that made me switch.

I remember the topic... I just didn't remember if you said what you used. I was pondering changing from IO myself...Thanks.

How's the tank Bearfan?

Back
Top Bottom