Upgrading 10g to 20 long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish5010

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,
We have a 10 gallon tank with 1 honey gourami, 7 ember tetras, 4 Pygmy Cory’s, 1 Nerite, and 1 amano shrimp. We’re thinking of upgrading to a 20g long. Just seeking your advice on stocking additions to our tank? I really appreciate any advise. Thanks!

Sounds like a pretty good group for a 20g. The only things I notice are: your single shrimp may be lonely. They like to be in a little group, say about 6 (they're decent cleaners too, so they'll help that lone nerite out).

And, what live plants are you planning? the fish you mentioned love a hideout.

Sounds like a pretty good group for a 20g. The only things I notice are: your single shrimp may be lonely. They like to be in a little group, say about 6 (they're decent cleaners too, so they'll help that lone nerite out).

And, what live plants are you planning? the fish you mentioned love a hideout.
So you're saying I shouldn't add any more fish with the upgrade? I was hoping to at least add 1-2 more honey gourami but unsure what is allowed. Thank you for the info on the Amano shrimp I didn't know that! Right now I just have a low tech set-up with a few Anubias and Java fern. I would love to get some advice on recommendations of what to plant and the best substrate. Thanks for the help!

I personally would stick with that amount of fish and introduce more plant life, esp tall wavy things they can lurk in, like Amazon Sword. Others here may have different opinions based on what they have in their own 20g.

I'm low tech too, I like everyone to have a nice balance of open spaces, hiding places, and home bases:cool:

Getting your shrimp a posse + adding plants will fill a 20g space nicely.

If you have your heart set on more fish, would you consider going a bit larger on the tank? This hobby tends toward more-more-more, as the happy factor kicks in when we visit the fish store and see someone we can't live without. Meaning, it's possible that you may not want to stop with just a few more fish. So why not go bigger (30-35-45 gallons) to rest assured that whoever you fall in love with, they won't be crowded? (for awhile) (considering everyone gets along together in there)

Back
Top Bottom