Upgrading aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dshealy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon aquarium that I started almost a month ago. We just purchased a 36 gallon aquarium to give 5 glofish tetras and 2 snails more room. I think the 10 gallon aquarium was cycled but I think I crashed it. I was having a hard time vacuuming the gravel and ended up with a 50% water change. Since then I have had traces of ammonia and nitrite showing up when I test. My tap water has about 1ppm amonia it and it had stopped showing up on the test before the 50% water change but, is showing up now. I am dosing with seachem prime daily. How do I move everything to the new aquarium safely? Would it be ok to go ahead and switch everything over and add more water since the 10 gallon is still cycling or wait until the new one is completely cycled to move them?

If you are able to fit the filter from your 10g tank to the 36g tank you can run the old and new filters together for 2 or 3 weeks. If thats not possible then can you put the filter media from your 10g filter into the 36g filter? Moving any decorations from 1 to the other will transfer some beneficial bacteria too. Squeezing out any sponges from your old tank will help too.

If your 10g isnt cycled yet, then just bite the bullet and move everything. If its a choice between a small uncycled tank, and a medium uncycled tank, then go for the larger water volume.

Thank you. I didn't think about hooking the filter from the 10 gallon up with the new one. I think changing everything over to give them more room might be better. Hopefully putting in the same substrate and decorations will keep them from stressing out as much as changing everything would.

Back
Top Bottom