Upgrading tank - new fish suggestions??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Princess1982

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All

I am pleased to say I am finally upgrading my tank :)

I will be getting 400 litres which I believe is 105 US gallons. I already have a few fish which I will be moving from my old tank so was wondering if you could give me some ideas on some suitable new tankmates?

I already have

1 x leopard pleco
1 x red cap oranda
1 x common goldfish
1 x white ranchu
1 x calico ryukin
1 x panda moor

I believe (and please correct me if I am wrong) that I need 20g for the first goldfish and 10 g for each fish therafter? I know it is only a guideline but I do not want to overstock the new tank. I wont be adding the new fish immediately either. Just want some ideas :fish1:

I know that bubble eye or celestial eye fish are out of the question as I have a common but don't want to have 2 of the same fish.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!

Hi Princess! Realistically, you should stick only with other goldfish. With the common in there, I honestly would not add any more fish. If you want to keep the common by itself in your other tank, then you can add a few more fancies. There are more exotic species of fancies if you are able to find a breeder in your country. Theres veiltails, broadtail & butterfly moors & ryukins, dragon balls, pearlscales, lionheads, SVRs, TVRs, zillion colors of regular telescopes, tosakins, wakins, jikins, lionchus, etcetcetc. :)

These are the fish I like. Neon tetras, rainbow shark but they can be kind of aggressive, bala sharks would be good, eclipse catfish, glow fish, and angel fish. Hope this helps a little!

Hi All

Thanks for your suggestions. Sorry for late reply. Am thinking I might have to give up the common as she is just getting a bit too boisterous of late although I am gutted because I have had her since she was a baby :-(

I will look at getting some more fancies. Am I right in thinking that I shouldn't get another pleco?

If you rehome the common, a couple more fancies would be fine. I would not go beyond 7-8 fancies total so theres adequate space for everyone to grow to their potential and water quality issues can be kept to minimum. No more plecos. Just take your time adding each new fish so your bb have time to adjust up to the increased bioload. Fancies have the potential to grow alot bigger than anyone realizes so its always better to be understocked. Good luck with the new tank!! :)

Thanks JLK. The 400 lite fish tank I was supposed to buy fell through so I have just placed an order for a 450 litre tank instead! Just can't help myself!

Thanks all for your help. Much appreciated as always :)

Back
Top Bottom