upgradings tanks.... can i just move filters and everything across and skip cycling??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieB

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi i've never upgraded tanks before and dont know the easiest safest way.
Just after some advice on moving/swapping tanks and the cycling progress.... sorry if it all sounds a bit complicated lol

I have a 4x1 tank with a foot long ghost knife and im upgrading to a 6x2x2 with an fx5. the 4x1 at the moment has a fluval 303 and a fluval 405. I am wanting to put the 6x2 where the 4x1 is, would the best way be to move the 4x1 for a day while i set up the 6x2 then just move the two filters across so the new tank will have a 303,405 and fx5 together then just add the fish etc??? and remove the 303 say after a month or so when the fx5 is cycled?????

Or should i just move the 4x1 while i do a full fishless cycle on the 6x2 (with some mature media to help seed) and then move the fish when its finished and safe to do so..

so in shorter terms is it just as safe to do it the easy way of moving old mature filters to a new tank or should i start from scratch and fishless cycle my new tank??

also im planning on changing gravel etc but all the plants and wood will be moved across.

Thanks in advance for all your help

Sounds like you have a good plan. Just keep the filter media wet. If you're planning on using the same substrate, keep it wet too. Even if you're not using the same substrate, keep it wet and transfer some to a mesh bag or new stocking.

Edit: So yea I wouldn't start from scratch. Unless you think that's fun..haha

I agree with Deckape. If it's the same fish you're just moving...the media you have is prepared to handle them immediately upon moving it. There is bacteria on every surface of the tank...so it won't be a perfectly even exchange, but just keep an eye on your parameters and do pwc's if necessary until things settle out. :)

Cool, sounds like i have it all sorted then, also thats a awesome idea with the old substrate in bags, i always wanted to change gravel in my current tank but wasnt sure if it would make my tank mini cycle....
Thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom