Urchin question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stradt03

Aquarium Advice Regular
quick and easy, do they require the crazy lighting that corral and other inverts need?

I kind of like how they look and was wondering if i can i get by with my simple FOWLR lighting?

thanks
J

We had one on the recommendation of our lfs to help us get rid of algae. He was my favorite creature to watch. He *insisted* on picking up a particular coral nearly daily (didn't matter where we moved him or the coral!) and would put it on his "head" like a hat! We would sometimes find him with hermit crabs sticking out. Really a fun creature to watch. We moved him to the fuge to protect the coral that he liked so much!

That is a great picture! I *so* wish I had taken one of our urchin with his "hat" on!

Great pic Quarry Shark... :p
From what I have read about the urchins they need a min of a 50 gal tank and some require 100+. I have never owned one but have been thinking about one for my 55 fowlr. Some eat coraline algae, thats why I have not gotten one yet.

I agree with seaham, I don't think a ten gallon is big enough to sustain an urchin.

I have 2 dime sized ones in my 12gal. right now! When they get bigger I'm takin them out and trading them to my LFS. They said they sell like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom