Urgent:angelfish problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImBettaThanCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a couple of angelfish in my tank. This morning, I saw one was lying on the bottom of the tank on its side. So I tried to scoop it up with a fish net but it swam away. It was moving very slowly and its mouth seemed like it was constantly opening and closing. It also seems like he's struggling to even stay up. He keeps falling g to its side and it's like it can't get up. My other angelfish are perfectly fine though. Please if anyone knows what's going on, I would like to know.

UPDATE:Now hes just sitting at the back of the tank doing nothing. I don't know what else to do. I used a brand new turkey baster to squirt food in his direction but he barely ate that either. He only ate the ones that drifted into his mouth. Please help.

Are you certain the water chemistry is normal? Did you notice any parasites, Ick / Velvet on the Angel? Parasites often attack the gills first before any outward symptoms are noticed. Good idea to remove the fish, if possible, to a QT tank.

The water chemistry is all good(I just did a water change yesterday) , and I have seen nothing on the angelfish. Only symptoms I see are slow movement and Opening and closing mouth. He also seems to be moving a lot more than he did earlier. His mouth is still opening and closing but not as fast.

Might be an intestinal bacteria infection. In that case not much you can do. Maybe the Angel was overly stressed by another fish. Ive had weaker cichlids actually turn black and hide when pestered by dominant fish.

I do have another angelfish that seems to be the strongest and largest of the group. This particular angelfish that was sick was also the smallest of the group coincidentally

They aren't really that new. The angelfish group was added to the tank about a month ago. Before that there were only platies and Danios in the tank. It's a 40g btw

I'd try adding a air stone. What's your temp? How big of a water change did you do? Treated? Some angels are different than your average angel fish that are so called "hardy. Some are a little more needy on ph, temp, and so on. What kind is your angel? Or Color? I'd also check your ph. And nitrate level. If there was any big change in that after the water change you did. Could be stressed or starting to get sick. Keep an eye on him. Maybe add some stress coat.

I have an airstone in there. The temp is 80 degrees. I did a 20 percent water change. My angel is about the size of a quarter. It is silver and black striped. The water chemistry is perfect. He's actually a little better now but as I observe him more, he seems to be tilting to his side which is causing him trouble with swimming.
Update:he swims a little more than he used to now but he still gets tired easily and goes back to laying down at the bottom of the tank. Any ideas on how to treat this?

Update: I feel my fish is on the edge of dying. He is just lying down on the plants now. The only movement he makes is the constant opening and closing and "gasping" of his mouth. Please I'm desperate. What do I do???

I think he’s dying. Probably not much you can do. I would fish him out, put him in a ziplock baggy with the heated water from the fish tank. Put him in the freezer and he will peacefully go to sleep and die. Sounds barbaric but your symptoms sound bleak.
Sorry [emoji22]

Try to get him out of the tank without stressing him more. Try floating him in a container or anything see though. If you have aquarium salt add some dissolve it first. And read the directions and do the right dosage. I don't know if you'll be able to save it. But salt will help.

Try to get him out of the tank without stressing him more. Try floating him in a container or anything see though. If you have aquarium salt add some dissolve it first. And read the directions and do the right dosage. I don't know if you'll be able to save it. But salt will help.
1/2 tsp per gallon. You can go a little more but not much. You can also add it right to the tank. If you don't have any fish or plants that are sensitive to salt. Just keep on eye on everyone if you do.

Update: his mouth stopped opening and closing, but now he's lying on the bottom of the tank, breathing very heavily. A little while ago it seemed like he tried to puke something out as he opened his mouth and jerked forward. I don't wanna give up on this guy yet.

I took the angelfish out and looked in its mouth while it was in the quarantine tank. I think it's choking on something. What can I do

I'd let him get it himself. Unless you see something in there. Might try a baby nose sucker to suck it out of there. Most the time they get it on their own.

I’ve never encountered a chocking Fish in all my years. Let me know how it turns out. I’m guessing the stress of all this is too much. Fish are pretty fragile I believe

I had a lion head (goldfish) with a dead otocinlus lodged in its mouth. Required needle nose pliers to pull it out. Goldfish was okay.

I’ve never encountered a chocking Fish in all my years. Let me know how it turns out. I’m guessing the stress of all this is too much. Fish are pretty fragile I believe
My angel fish is still lying at the bottom of his quarantine tank. He seems to "cough" every once in a while but still no luck. He's still not moving.

If the substance in the Angel 's mouth is white, it might be a bacterial growth / Columnaris. It grows in the intestines and can protrude outside the mouth. If it looks like that there is nothing to be done. Better to euthanize the fish and concentrate on saving the tankmates.

Back
Top Bottom