URGENT! Help stock my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BamBamFishKid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, i couldn't get much of a response from my other thread so i'm posting another. In the picture is a 8 gallon hexagon aquarium. I have a tetra 10 gallon filter in it. I know there isn't any heater but im gettting one tonight. I need help stocking and I am open to any fish. I would like to get tiger barbs but if i dont i dont care. I want to have a colorful tank, with hardy fish.

Attachments

• image-1888554917.jpg
    image-1888554917.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 62
You could do a school of ember tetras and some really bright colourful shrimp. Endlers are pretty hard too. Have you cycled the tank

I would suggest some small sort of tetras. Two or three small schools. And have a big beautiful betta as your centerpiece.

This is a 8g tank. Don't think there will be enough room for 2-3 small schools

If you got 5 neons and 3 rummy nose, or another small schooling fish, I think it would be okay imo.

If you got 5 neons and 3 rummy nose, or another small schooling fish, I think it would be okay imo.

Rummy noses are WAY too active for a 8g. I have them in a 33g and they're the most active fish I've ever seen. Neons or rummy noses shouodnt be placed in a aquarium less than 20g. Even though some people think neons can go in a 10g

Here are some of my ideas

5 male guppies

OR

1 dwarf gourami

OR

1 male betta! I have a few pictures of my boys in my albums so you could see what kind you want!

You can overstock the tank a tiny bit but not by much. Overstocking is alright as long as it's not overboard and you maintain the tank well.

If you don't want to go overstocked, you could go with
A dwarf gourami
Or
5 guppies
Or
A betta and a couple guppies (if the betta is calm enough)

If you are okay with being slightly overstocked and having upped water changes, you could go with

A dwarf gourami and 5 neons OR 3 guppies
Or
7-8 guppies
Or
A betta (if he plays nice) and a 10 neons OR 6-7 guppies max

A 10 gallon doesn't give you much room sorry to say. Mollies need 30 gallons, platys need similar... It just doesn't give you too much space for fish.

Hey angel,

If i want a dwarf gourami, how many tiger barbs could i put in with it?

An 8 gallon with a dwarf gourami and barbs wouldn't work. Barbs need a lot of swimming space. You would only be able to do the dwarf and one barn at max and that would cause many problems.

The barb would be stressed.
The barb would nip the gourami to no end.
The barb needs to be schooling.

Guppies are really your only option with a dwarf gourami maybe a shrimp or two if the other fish leave them alone.

Hi,

Today i picked up a powder blue dwarf gourami and 2 kuhli loaches. I also was given about 20 baby mystery snails for FREE! Im planning on selling some so if your interested PM me. In 2 weeks in going to go back to the fish store. Im still deciding on what to pick up. Any suggestions on what i should get are helpful

Back
Top Bottom