Urgent neon tetra help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BluNinja06

Aquarium Advice Newbie
URGENT HELP NEEDED!! My neon Tetrad were put into the tank four days ago but since this morning they have started to lose their colour. Please help i don’t want them to die. I have put a picture down below

Attachments

• 6E497A78-97E4-469B-AF1F-8BFEFF8A4A5E.jpg
    6E497A78-97E4-469B-AF1F-8BFEFF8A4A5E.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 132
Guessing this is a new tank? Most fish deaths are caused because new fishkeepers have not been taught about cycling a tank. All new fish tanks have to go through a cycle of building colonies of good bacteria that protect fish from the poison their own waste produces.

You can help your struggling fish now by doing a partial water change. Remove 50 or even 75 percent of your water. Then--this is important--add dechlorinator to the tank (enough for the entire tank, not just the water you removed). Then fill the tank back up with new water that has been carefully adjusted to be the same temperature as the water you removed. Your fish should have some immediate relief.

If you have a water testing kit, test your water to measure ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates, and post your findings here. If you don't have a water testing kit, you will need to get one.

Then go here to read about how to cycle a tank: https://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

This article is actually about cycling without fish, but it explains the general process of the cycle well: https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

This thread has some good advice in it, including recommendations for youtube videos that explain how to manage the situation you are in: https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fish-dying-373853.html

In general, it's important that you test your water every single day during the cycle and do water changes every time ammonia or nitrites rise above a dangerous level. It is not hard, but it takes a lot of dedication. You will know the cycle is complete when your tank no longer produces measurable ammonia or nitrItes, but only nitrAtes. A complete cycle can take six weeks or even longer. It is possible to vastly speed up the cycle if you can get some wet filter media from someone who has a healthy, established tank and put it into your own filter. Never clean out your filter entirely, because that is where your good bacteria colonies are growing. After the cycle is complete, you don't have to worry about testing your water every day anymore. You can manage the normal buildup of nitrAtes with a regular, weekly maintenance regimen of partial water changes.

It is possible to cycle a tank with fish. However, neon tetras are very delicate fish, and they aren't generally the best choice for doing this. If you are dedicated to doing daily water changes while your tank cycles, they might survive. However, you might want to consider taking them back to the store and doing a cycle without fish or trading for a hardier fish such as danios.

Go here and read the articles about starting a new aquarium. Lots of good, general information here: (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/foru...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html) Make sure you have a heater and that your temperature is good for neons, too (75 to 80ish F).

A Python water change system is worth the investment and makes water changes much easier. It attaches to your sink and allows you to empty and fill your tank without hauling buckets.

Good luck with your fish, and keep asking questions!

Also a side note, is that Neons will also turn pale when sleeping and resting, but sleeping especially. It is scary to see that. They should color up in about a half hour.

As for getting the tank in a better spot for fish, you have a bunch of good info above and getting a liquid test kit is important.

Also good to know - Big box pet stores will usually price match an item, even from themselves from their online shops. Just read up on which ones they match with or call them to check. This works for same exact item, including food and supplies.

Thanks. I had properly cycled my tank so that was why I was a bit scared. When I woke up this morning and turned the lights to day they had coloured up fully again but thanks for the advice.

Really glad they are doing well. Sorry for the assumption that you hadn't cycled the tank--it happens so often that I just assumed. Autumnsky is the best here and immediately recognized a sleepy neon.

Enjoy your beautiful fish.

Back
Top Bottom