Use magfloat scrapers with caution when you have Flourite!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malkore

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just a word of caution here...

Found out the hard way on Monday that sometimes Flourite particles contain enough iron to get attracted to the magnets in a magflot scraper.

I momentarily lost the 'link' to the inside scraper, and when i got it re-attached, some pin head sized flourite had stuck in the center,a nd I scratched the heck outta my tank wall. thankfully its a side wall so it's a non-issue, but I was very surprised to see the flourite was that iron rich.

u should still get one just be cautious when cleaning. i was cleaning my dads tank the other day and he has just a basic small grain gravel substrate and i dropped the mag float and when i picked it back up there were 5 or 6 peices of the gravel stuck to it and they were actually magnetised there.. that suprised me that the substrate was that rich in metals. even sand can do a good job of beating up the tank wall if it gets stuck in it. i love my mag float and use it in 3 of my tanks... just watch out for those nasty little bits that like to get stuck to it. oh and fish :( if u unmagnetise it and go to re stick it watch for fish swimming against the glass. one of my danios had half of his tail taken off becasue he decided to zip by as i re stuck it to the glass.

in general, they are fine scrapers. but mine split apart as I was scrubbing by the substrate. kind of a fluke occurance, but it wasn't a fun lesson to learn.

wait... i thought green spot algae was a representation of good water quality? LOL maybe im wrong, and if thats the case, i have a majoy algae problem. It covers my driftwood, large stones, and spots some older plant leaves. Is this not normal?

Green spot algae on the glass is normal. Some have found success getting rid of it by increasing Phosphates. You are going to have small amounts of algae in any planted tank, but in a well balanced tank it will be minimal and not detract from the appearance of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom