Used a sharpie to color a pvc elbow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jadub

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey this wasn't a great idea but I didn't have any spray paint on hand. I just picked up a crayfish for a 10 gallon tank and picked up a few 2" pvc elbows for it to hide in. I didn't like the white look so I colored one completely with a black sharpie. I didn't put it in the tank yet. My question is if something painted with a sharpie is safe for an aquarium. My guess is no and I just wasted a buck or two. Oh well. Anyone if it will work?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And I just realized I posted this in the wrong spot. My bad

I wouldn't put the black one in the tank. Just because Sharpie will probably foul the water and just release toxins. What you could do though is take the PVC tube, cover it in silicone and then cover that silicone in gravel or some kind of rocks to cover up the white. Most silicone and super glue is aquarium safe. Or you could tie some java moss around the tube so that over time it will grow over it and cover the tube.

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it. I pretty much knew I couldn't use it but was worth a shot to see if someone else did something dumb like that and turned out it didn't harm the tank. And I'm in the process of glueing some rocks to one of the other elbows right now. Had to take a break from the fumes

I would agree with Nils. Throw out the sharpie colored pvc. Not worth risking your livestock for a few dollars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom