Used Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gti_Leo

Aquarium Advice Addict
right now i just bought myself a small 26gallon bowface tall aquarium, but further down the road once my reef is established i might buy a nice 72" aquarium so i could put a few blue tangs.

anyways i was looking on a local classified site and i saw a great deal on a 22 year old 125 gallon aquariums. now i'm just wondering what to look for when buyign a used tank. i'd assume the glass will not get brittle over the years but the seals probably have. i was wondering how or if it is possible to strip all the silicone seals and just leave it as glass panels and then re do all the seals and the top/bottom plastic trim pieces

i was thinking using a sharp razorblade to get into the small groves, the sealent used is just 100% silicone caulking isn't it?

im pretty sure its silicone but there are only certain kinds that are aquarium safe. i also can't answer which ones are.

i believe off the top of my head pat8you has a 90G build that he stripped the silicone and redid it, look for that thread

i've read GE 100% I silicone and DAP. the GEII has mold and mildew aditives that doesn't make it a good sealent

took eat glass piece off and redid everything? so irs a recommended thing to do for piece of mind on a 22 year old aquarium that has never seen more then 3 days of down time?

Back
Top Bottom