Using ground covers and substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chafire

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im going to be setting up a 10 gallon aquarium with either dwarf hairgrass, Riccia, or Dwarf baby tears with Seachem flourite as my substrate. I'm wondering if I should even use a gravel on top of the flourite because my plan is to let one of these grow over the entire bottom to form a grassy/mossy carpet on the bottom of the tank. Any info into what I should do is appreciated.
Thanks
~Graham

No need for the gravel on top. Most foreground plants will root/attach much better to smaller substrates than they would larger ones like gravel.

Flourite

Flourite is a great planting substrate. I have used it several times. There is no need to place gravel on top of it. The only problem I have ever had with this substrate is the fact that it turns the water cloudy upon initial setup. It goes away quickly though. I have placed standard aquarium gravel on top of it before to try to reduce the clouding. The water was still cloudy. Plants root quickly in Flourite. I would use it and nothing else!

Back
Top Bottom