Using Hair for Tying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dskidmore

Aquarium Advice Addict
Oddball question of the day:

Is hair biodegradable enough to make a suitable tie-down for plants mounted on driftwood?

I don't think hair is really biodegradable at all. Either that or it takes a very very long time for it to biodegrade. I'm basing this off of horror movies where the skeletons still have hair. That and the fact that hair clogs drains. If it biodegraded, I don't think it would do that.

Also, good luck tying it ;).

Tying: practice makes perfect. I've had long hair for a very long time, and have tied off lots of things with hair.

Perhaps you could get ahold of the stiching doctors use on internal injuries, of course it might dissolve a little too fast for a plant to take hold and might not be good for the water quality.

ringfinger said:
Perhaps you could get ahold of the stiching doctors use on internal injuries, of course it might dissolve a little too fast for a plant to take hold and might not be good for the water quality.

This is usually a nylon based material. I use clear plastic pony-tail hair bands. Usually lasts long enough to let the plant take hold, before it falls apart.

My main concern with using hair to tie plants would be that it might have oils, shampoo, conditioner, styling stuff, or other residue that could harm the tank inhabitants.

IMO You're probably better off floating the plant until you have a chance to bring in the cotton thread.

Good point about contaminants, but I don't think a single strand would have enough contaminants to hurt anything. I certianly have more surface area on my hands that would have any non-soluable residue from my hair products. Besides the fact I don't use much goop, might be conditioner residue, but no adhesives, stifeners, or leave-in stuff.

Well, I'm home now, so I just have to remember to grab the thread in the morning.

I don't know how fast it would break down, possibly years, but I have actually caught small fish with single strands of my wifes hair! Tying a knot is hell but it is strong enough to catch a 4 ounce fish.

Hair will break down relatively fast in an aquarium setup. Things like light, ammonia, and other dissolved solids will break it down. Mummified remains and such that still show hair are due to low moisture content, no light, and little if any other chemicals.

I still say why?, but after thinking about it I say WHY NOT?

Why: If you have the right color hair, it's going to blend in really well amd be practially invisible. Doesn't take long to find it.

Why not: Cotton thread is alot easier to handle. Treated hair may be poisonous.

Back
Top Bottom