Using old tank water to start new aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kotenok

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone. I am a beginner and I need your advice. Just yesterday I took over my friend's fish tank with 7 fishes. I have emptied it out and saved all the water in buckets, since I heard it is better to use old/native water. My question is did I do right by saving old water? Or it would be better to start with the fresh one? I also have a filter, but it is really dirty inside. Should I change it or it would be better for some time to use the native one?

kotenok said:
Hi everyone. I am a beginner and I need your advice. Just yesterday I took over my friend's fish tank with 7 fishes. I have emptied it out and saved all the water in buckets, since I heard it is better to use old/native water. My question is did I do right by saving old water? Or it would be better to start with the fresh one? I also have a filter, but it is really dirty inside. Should I change it or it would be better for some time to use the native one?

Did you save the filter media? The water doesn't really matter much. You should start your own thread so this OP wont confuse your answers with the ones meant for him/ her!

kotenok said:

Hi! It's usually advised you start your own thread.
The old water isn't necessary but the old filter is. You need to keep it wet during the move to keep the bacteria alive.

Please read this and if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

Ok, I'll start a new thread next time...new to this forum... any forum.
Yes, I did saved the filter media. So, what should I do next? Any recommendations?

kotenok said:
Ok, I'll start a new thread next time...new to this forum... any forum.
Yes, I did saved the filter media. So, what should I do next? Any recommendations?

All good. I reported your post (not because your in trouble!) do hopefully a mod can move it to its own thread.

What you need to do is set up the tank with dechlorinated water, bring it up to temperature and ad the filter. Look up how to acclimate fish an then add them to the tank. Do you have a test kit? You will need to keep a close eye on parameters because a lot of bacteria could have been lost during the move.

All good. I reported your post (not because your in trouble!) do hopefully a mod can move it to its own thread.

What you need to do is set up the tank with dechlorinated water, bring it up to temperature and ad the filter. Look up how to acclimate fish an then add them to the tank. Do you have a test kit? You will need to keep a close eye on parameters because a lot of bacteria could have been lost during the move.

Thank you :) I am doing a research right now. Later on today I will buy everything I need at once. I have a test kit, but it is only for ph and alkalinity. I think this is the wrong one...

kotenok said:
Thank you :) I am doing a research right now. Later on today I will buy everything I need at once. I have a test kit, but it is only for ph and alkalinity. I think this is the wrong one...

No problem. Read the article I linked above. It will explain what you need and about the nitrogen cycle.

Welcome to AA, and welcome to your new thread. ;)

You are correct that you will need to purchase an additional test kit. The best bang for the buck for a freshwater tank is the API Master Test Kit. This includes tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and maybe high range pH (it's been forever and I can't remember for sure). Steer clear of test strips. They cost more in the long run and the results can't be trusted anyway.

Hi and welcome! You want a good liquid test kit: the API master is best. What size tank and what fish are in there? Dirty filter media is good, don't throw it away. What kind of filter, do you know? If you need a new or larger filter you can buy one and run it on the tank with the current filter or move all of the media from the old filter to the new one, just don't throw any of the old media away right now.

using old water means that all the beneficial bacteria is still in the water and filter so you did a good thing there. you can wash the filter but only use your tank water to wash it, you don't want the bacteria to die from the chlorine in tap water. if you need to add more water, you can either buy dechlorinator to put it in tap water or leave tap water to sit overnight. that should take care of the chlorine

I totally agree. You will want to hang on to those used filter pads, even if they look gunky and gross. They are especially important at this point, before you have a test kit that will monitor ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If the filter pads clog, just rinse them in aquarium water.

Hi and welcome! You want a good liquid test kit: the API master is best. What size tank and what fish are in there? Dirty filter media is good, don't throw it away. What kind of filter, do you know? If you need a new or larger filter you can buy one and run it on the tank with the current filter or move all of the media from the old filter to the new one, just don't throw any of the old media away right now.

I have a 55 gallon fish tank with 4 black ruby barbs and 3 white skirt tetras, if I'm not mistaken. I have to verify this with the previous owner, if he knows that :-(
Thank you for an advice, I will add API master kit to my list.

JokerWx13 said:
using old water means that all the beneficial bacteria is still in the water and filter so you did a good thing there. you can wash the filter but only use your tank water to wash it, you don't want the bacteria to die from the chlorine in tap water. if you need to add more water, you can either buy dechlorinator to put it in tap water or leave tap water to sit overnight. that should take care of the chlorine

NO !!! You can't depend on overnight to make water safe anymore !! Chloramines will NOT outgas like Chlorine ! Use Prime as you conditioner or one labeled for Chlorine AND Chloramine. Prime is the favorite of most of us.

kotenok said:
I have a 55 gallon fish tank with 4 black ruby barbs and 3 white skirt tetras, if I'm not mistaken. I have to verify this with the previous owner, if he knows that :-(
Thank you for an advice, I will add API master kit to my list.

The kits are cheapest on amazon.

The kits are cheapest on amazon.

I know, Amazon is the best. But I don't think I have that much time. My new fishes are in the smaller 5 gallon tank right now. All the water sits in buckets, and I just have finished cleaning the tank, since it was REALLY dirty.

You have dechlorinator right? What kind? Don't forget to use it when you refill the tank ;)

Yes, I have a dechlorinator, but it is for betta... I forgot to mention that I also have a betta fish in a separate tank that i have bought couple days ago. Will this Aqueon dechlorinator for betta's work or should I buy smth else instead?

Back
Top Bottom