uv hookup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckmn101

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wanting to get a uv sterilizer and my lfs guy is telling me to put it inline with the output of my canister- wouldn’t the flow(340gph) be way too fast? If so what other way could I hook it up?
tia

If you chose to go the UV route try looking into a powerhead. It should be a small one where the flow is much slower. Powerheads are not that expensive. You should get out of the store with one that is less than $30.

i had the same sinario....i went to hardware store and got some fittings. hose, grey T, two ball valves, thread to barbed grey pieces, and some hose clamps, and some pvc to make a U for to go over the edge of the tank. i chose not to use glue because i didnt know if it was safe.

so you split the output of the canister...put a ball valve on each end, one goes to the tank and one goes to the UV then the tank.

i keep the valve going into the tank open 100% and adjusted the flow into the UV to about 60 gal/hr. (fill a one gallon container, time it and do the math)

Back
Top Bottom