UV sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koopa_34

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 120 gallon planted tank and i've been wanting to put a uv sterilizer on it. I'm just wondering if it is a good idea or not to put a uv sterilizer on a planted tank.

Last edited:
To get rid of algea and to prevent further disease from developing in my tank.

A UV filter will only destroy free floating algae, if you're trying to get rid of other types it won't be of any use.

Unless you have one of the new models with a bulb-wipe mechanism it isn't worth your time or money. Proper husbandry can alleviate most problems in aquaria ;)

While they may be beneficial to help prevent the spread of disease, they won't help you with your algae, unless it's green water.

will having a uv sterilizer effect what type of fish you can put in or will it give you the advantage of putting delicate fish in the tank

A UV sterilizer is a tool. You can acheive the same affect by other means such as good aquarium maintenace and care. It may make it easier for you to take care of more delicate fish, especially if you are somewhat lax in you aquarium care, but must be properly maintained and will not make up for overly lax aquarium care.

Back
Top Bottom