UV Sterilizers and Green Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Would getting a UV Sterilizer get rid of green water for good? I'm so sick and tired of having green water. It's got to be one of the most frustrating things ever, in terms of fish keeping anyway! If it does get rid of green water once and for all, then I'm all for it and I'm willing to spend the money on it. What UV Sterilizer would be best for a 46 gallon bow aquarium? Will it effect any of the fish in the aquarium (I have no live plants)? What are some of the other benefits from running a UV Sterilizer?

I just hooked up a UV sterilizer (on a sw tank) and my water has been crystal clear. As far as a brand, I have heard nothing but wonderful comments about the turbo twists.

Ultimately, you want to find the cause of the green water, such as high phosphates or high light, and correct it...else it may return.

But to get rid of the algae quickly without using chemicals, you have two choices: UV sterilizer or diatom filter. I researched both options a few months ago.
Both are absolutely, perfectly safe for fish, plants, and biofilters.

UV sterilizer
Pros:
1) Easy to set up and install.
2) Kills algae, fungi, parasites, and nasty bacteria without harming the biofilter
3) Can be used continuously (but see con #3 below).
Cons:
1) Expensive
2) Bulb sleeve must be cleaned occasionally
3) Bulb only lasts a certain number of hours before losing effectiveness. Replacement bulbs are relatively expensive. Again, depends on model.
4) Dead algae must be removed by water changes - results may take a day or two to be noticed.

Diatom filter
Pros:
1) Physically removes algae, fungi spores, and small particles. Actually polishes the water to a crystal-clear state that has to be seen to be believed.
2) Fast - difference seen in minutes.
3) Diatom powder is cheap!
Cons:
1) Filter itself is expensive
2) Harder to set up than UV sterilizer, but not nearly as hard as you may have been led to believe.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=66071&highlight=diatom+filter
3) Must be cleaned after use.
4) Not designed to be used continuously.

QTOFFER - Thanks for the link to your other thread. My aquarium currently looks worst than yours does. I can't make out anything in the tank any further than a few inches deep. Although, I do find it kind of cool to see shadaws lurking in the tank as they slowly become visible! :)

Now, the diatom filter.... do you just hook it up when the water gets cloudy or murky until it clears up? I'm assuming this is something I could use to clean my tank and if it starts clouding up again in say a couple of months, I could use it again to clear it up? In other words, it's something I'll always be able to use (provided I have all the materials to use it). How do you clean it after using it?

Thanks!

GouramiFanatic, ironically, my fish never looked better when I had the green algae. :roll: I think the murkiness made them feel more secure, and it was soaking up nitrates.

I haven't had the green water return since November. I think I had a chemical imbalance in my tank caused by overfeeding and stirring up my gravel. Less feeding and lots of water changes later, the green murkiness seems gone for good.

Still, I run the diatom filter for an hour on each of my tanks about once a month - it removes small particulates that the filter doesn't retain. The water looks crystal clear when I'm done.

Cleaning is a bit of a chore, but really no worse than draining and re-coiling my 50 foot Python. I use the Python to backflush the diatom filter - running warm water through the output fitting. I give the diatom filter a good shake now and then to dislodge the diatom powder from the filter bag. When the water running out of the input tubing is clear, I disassemble the filter, give everything a final rinse, and let it dry. I do all of this in the bathtub, so there is no mess or wet carpet.

Ok - I think I may have jumped the gun a bit earlier than I wanted to, but I just ordered the Vortex D-1 Diatom Filter from an online store. It won't ship for another 2-3 business days so I won't be able to use it until next week sometime. Now I'm kind of hoping that the tank stays murky until then. :lol: I'm anxious to see the before and after process. I'm sure I won't regret buying this filter, but it's still a lot of money! I'll try to bring my camera to work to take some before - during - after photos. I'll keep you posted. :)

Thank you for the help!!
- Mandy

I found the diatom filter to be a great investment.
Best of luck with it, and be sure to post any questions that may arise. :D

I had been fighting green water for a few weeks. I did two seperate 4 day blackouts that worked initially, but the green water was back within a week. Then I bought this UV sterilizer:

http://nanotuners.nanocustoms.com/nanotuners/product_info.php?cPath=55&products_id=167

I did a 70% PWC and fired it up. It's been a week and my water has only gotten more clear every day. I'm very pleased with it, and it was half the price of every other UV filter I've seen. It's being used in a 29g BTW.

Of course I am still working out nutrient levels to solve the true problem. Hopefully it was just a phase for a new tank(approx 2 months old).

I also got a UV sterilizer for my 30g a year ago, when I got totally frustrated of fighting green water (pea soup!). It fixed the problem for good. Also, I never had any disease outbreak in that tank, except a mild case of ick, caused by new fish that were not QT'd. :roll:

I didn't get one for my 75 g set up and... so far so good. I'm considering changing the UVS to the QT tank one of these days. If I can keep the 30g algae free, the UVS will be better to help new or sick fishies get rid of parasites and other bad stuff.

Just my luck... I came home to a nice email from the online store that I ordered the filter from saying that it's on backorder for another 2 weeks!! I had the option of canceling the order and waiting it out. Fearing that I'd run into the same problem (or even worst) elsewhere, I'm keeping it on order. It's gonna be a long 2 weeks... :(

Back
Top Bottom