UV Sterilizers. Worth it for FW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been doing some research into UV Sterilizers. My main interest in them is to help prevent disease rather then clear the water.

Can anyone provide some real world experience / reviews / opinions on running these? Did you notice a difference in general tank health afterwards?

I prefer more frequent WC's. Most often times, any problems associated in aquariums come from water quality issues. The other issues come from introducing new fish without a good QT procedure and adding water that came from the new fishes place of origin. (Back to poor water conditions and lack of QT)

I've been doing some research into UV Sterilizers. My main interest in them is to help prevent disease rather then clear the water.

Can anyone provide some real world experience / reviews / opinions on running these? Did you notice a difference in general tank health afterwards?

For preventing disease (as opposed to just killing algae in the water column you will want a very good unit). I have a separate UV unit running (don't like ones inside canisters as the canister flow rate is usually too high).

It has improved water clarity and may have restricted disease outbreaks to a single fish or school. That's just a suspicion from diseases that I thought would go more through the tank. However still had fungal, bacterial and ich infections with it running part-time. Size might be too small although it was the largest I could buy (options here limited, next time more research!).

Normally I would say water changes, etc will be just as good. I do plan to run it non-stop in about 4 months time when we go from winter to summer. The first heat wave of summer when tank temp jumps is when I seem to have troubles. That will be an interesting test of it.

At the moment it hides some filter pipes so I plan to continue with it. Will decide after using last replacement bulb.

Back
Top Bottom