Uv sterilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Race2d

Aquarium Advice Activist
What are UV sterilizers used for? Are they need in freshwater or any benefits from having one?

Uv sterilizers prevent the multiplication of bacteria. If used in fresh water it could not let the good bacteria multiply and you'd only have whatever bacteria was in there. This is speaking from personal experience as a biomedical engineer that works with water for dialysis where the uv sterilizer is part of the system.

I have a uv in my tanks....love it!!

Uv will not hurt your bb because bb isn't suspended in the water, it attaches to rock, filter media, plants ect.

I had algae blooms in my water and no amount of chemical or tank darkening would clear it up, so as a last resort I bought a uv....best investment ever! I only run it when I have too and now that my tank is balanced I've not had to use it in about 6 months.

I have a uv in my tanks....love it!!

Uv will not hurt your bb because bb isn't suspended in the water, it attaches to rock, filter media, plants ect.

I had algae blooms in my water and no amount of chemical or tank darkening would clear it up, so as a last resort I bought a uv....best investment ever! I only run it when I have too and now that my tank is balanced I've not had to use it in about 6 months.

I have the same Problem with algea booms, Drive me up the wall! Ive been looking at a 9 Watt UV on "evil"bay, for around $36.00. I was wondering about it so I think ill give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom