Vaccuming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

griff5499

Aquarium Advice Regular
How soon should I vacumme the substrate? My tank is three weeks old, ammonia is .25, nitrites= 0 , nitrates=0. I don't think my tank has cycled yet. I have been doing pwc to keep the ammonia down. I did a fish-in cycle.

I just took readings and now have .25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 10 nitrates. Is this an indication that my tank is starting to cycle?

The vast majority of the bb you are trying to grow live in the filter. Yes some live on the surface of the substrate, however the bb are sticky and won't be pulled off by the vacuum. I'm currently cycling as well and vacuum once a week, I haven't noticed any change after vacuuming, so I don't think its effecting my cycle much. I wouldn't be real aggressive though, try to keep the surface substrate on the surface.

Have you ever seen a nitrite reading? Since you are still seeing ammonia I would think you are still in the first phase. It took me almost a month until ammonia dropped to 0 and I started seeing nitrites, I haven't had an ammonia reading since that happened. I'm not sure about the nitrate reading, maybe a false positive? The API nitrate test can be funky, you have to shake the crap out of the bottle and hit it on a hard surface, then you have to shake the crap outta the vial.

Back
Top Bottom