vacuumig sand bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwint

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 75 gallon comm. tank running alittle over a year.i have never vacuumed the sand bed and was wondering if I should.i have been stirring up the bed and just let the filter handle it.my tests have always been good but have had cyno and green algae in the past.how can you vacuum without sucking up the sand?

I have a 75 gallon comm. tank running alittle over a year.i have never vacuumed the sand bed and was wondering if I should.i have been stirring up the bed and just let the filter handle it.my tests have always been good but have had cyno and green algae in the past.how can you vacuum without sucking up the sand?

I vac my sand at least twice a week, I bought a power vac as the syphon vacs tend to suck up more sand ! It's hard work but once you get the hang of it it's easy to do it without emptying the sand out of your tank lol ;)

I'd like to see a video of that. My power vac would empty the tank of water before you could do anything...

I don't touch much of my sandbed. I have 2 dead spots in my tank that I siphon that area of sand to get all that gunk out of the tank. I don't do the whole area, just the surface.

My tank is 15+ years old and have never vacuumed the sand bed. There is micro organisms in the sand that are beneficial to the tank. IMO it should not be disturbed.

ok thanks,i'll just buy some strong power heads

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom