Valentini puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guinness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys,
My partner has just brought a valentini puffer fish. He is 2" in size. Can anyone tell me what to feed him? We have been feeding him brine shrimp with garlic, we have tried him on frozen mussel but he doesn't seem very keen. Our lfs sells live shrimp I think they are glass shrimp but I'm not sure. Can we feed them to our puffer?

Any help you can give or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Yes you can feed live shrimp. Dont feed him live dood until he starts eating dead food. Feed him any fresh and frozen crustaceans at your local grocery store. Thaw in aquarium water. Use garlic on then until he figures out that it's food.

Any trouble feeding brine shrimp? Do you just drop it in and watch him go water the shrimp?

Terrance said:
Yes you can feed live shrimp. Dont feed him live dood until he starts eating dead food. Feed him any fresh and frozen crustaceans at your local grocery store. Thaw in aquarium water. Use garlic on then until he figures out that it's food.

Any trouble feeding brine shrimp? Do you just drop it in and watch him go water the shrimp?

Terrance

At the moment we are just feeding frozen brine shrimp and garlic, we use the water from the tank to defrost it, then pour it into the tank. He loves it and eats it without problem. He was in the lfs for nearly 2 weeks and that's what they were feeding him. He takes it really well. Will feeding live shrimp help keep his teeth sharp and not overgrown? Also what sort of snails. An you get for a marine tank?

Cheers for the reply ;-)

No live shrimp will not keep his teeth worn down. Pest pond snail is cheapest. They are FW snails. Wild fish will eventually figure out that you're the food person. Just keep trying these dead food.

Ok we will carry on with the frozen foods as well as a few live shrimps. Can you take snails from a cold water tank and drop them in?
Really appreciate your help and advice. Thank you.

Yes. In cold water, Snails tend to stay in it's shell and not move. Then when you put them in warmer water, the start moving again.

Back
Top Bottom