Vals that wont grow upwards?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had some vals for about a year, they have done a good job of carpeting the 20 gallon long tank but are failing to grow upwards.
Tank specs:
20 gallon long
Sand substrate
Duel t5 ho glo light fixture
Currently using no ferts or root tabs

Is it the lack of nutrients or do I just have a strange sub species of this stuff?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130420_145952.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130420_145952.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 96
  • ForumRunner_20130420_150012.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130420_150012.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 107
Those aren't Vals. I have to study the picture a bit to see if I can figure out what they are. They don't look quite right for dwarf sag soooo hopefully someone else will recognize them.

Here is a little guy that is standing alone. The tallest one I have is about 3 inches tall. Their leafs are fairly brittle, they will snap if you bend them very far.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130420_151017.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130420_151017.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 110
I am really wondering if that isn't Blyxa Japonica. But it could be Sagittaria subulata (dwarf sag). I'm just not sure.

I think you are right! It looks very similar to some of the pictures I got when I googled "blyxa Japonica". That helps explain a lot. Thank you!

That is a good point, these things definitely send out runners. The only think that makes me think it isn't dwarf chain sword is that the leafs remain a constant width bottom to top. Don't chain swords have a wider top part of the leaf?

I have dwarf chain sword in three tanks and this doesn't quite look like that either.

Maybe the above are right, I don't know plants very well, I just buy what looks pretty.
But, I can tell you I had Italian Vals for a while and they did the exact same thing.

I hated them because it looked very..."incomplete" because they didn't grow tall like I wanted them to lol. If you want something tall try doing a lower lighting or lifting the lights higher above the tank. Or try Jungle Val.

Back
Top Bottom