Veggies for Honey Gouramis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nlifs

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

My new honey gouramis don't seem super excited during feeding time (Xtreme nano sinking pellets or Omega One flakes) so I wanted to try some veggies to see if they like those ...

Are vegetables recommended for honey gouramis? If so, would cucumber be OK? If yes, do they need to be blanched or are peeled/raw cucumber slices OK?

Thanks as always!

Hello,

My new honey gouramis don't seem super excited during feeding time (Xtreme nano sinking pellets or Omega One flakes) so I wanted to try some veggies to see if they like those ...

Are vegetables recommended for honey gouramis? If so, would cucumber be OK? If yes, do they need to be blanched or are peeled/raw cucumber slices OK?

Thanks as always!
Honey Gouramis are omnivores but most of their veggies will come from the gut of the insects they naturally eat. I would try the gut loaded frozen brine shrimp or frozen bloodworms before I would depend on them eating veggies straight on.
Another option is to ask the shop where you got them what food they were feeding them and ask if you can get a small sample of it to see if they will eat it in your tank. If they don't eat it in your tank, there's a good chance they are too stressed in it so they won't feed on anything and you would need to address that stress.

Honey Gouramis are omnivores but most of their veggies will come from the gut of the insects they naturally eat. I would try the gut loaded frozen brine shrimp or frozen bloodworms before I would depend on them eating veggies straight on.
Another option is to ask the shop where you got them what food they were feeding them and ask if you can get a small sample of it to see if they will eat it in your tank. If they don't eat it in your tank, there's a good chance they are too stressed in it so they won't feed on anything and you would need to address that stress.

If you do decide to try cucumber (just to rule it out, if nothing else), blanching is the way to give it your best attempt. Boil for one minute to break down the fibers and make it available to eat. Some people do use raw cucumber, but if you want to find out for sure, blanching is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom